Monday, April 20, 2009

Not to be believed

When Pamela went on Oprah a couple of weeks back, she self-identified as "Dr Mehmet Oz's biggest fan" and got to sit on Oprah's couch with her Dr Oz action figure (sans Oprah, alas). The talent wrangler gave Pamela her card and asked her to write for tickets to Dr Oz's new show coming in the fall.

So Pamela did write last night, and by this morning, the coordinator had written back: Dr Oz will be on Oprah THIS THURSDAY - does Pamela want to go? A quick set of calls to arrange things, and yes, she's definitely going, and this time bringing her mom.

I'll be superdad with the kids from Wed night to Friday lunchtime. And Pamela will have been in the Oprah audience twice in a month. WOW.

In my own world, I'm still waiting for the stars to align for my next gig, but am growing more and more amused at how things are turning at my work: Today the new "big boss" decided that the way to penetrate into more clients is... wait for it... to hire a telemarketing firm to do the initial calls, and set up meetings for us.

I actually can't imagine that working... not in a relationship-based business like this. In fact I could see it backfiring in a massive way. But I'm not the big boss guy. I'm just a guy who is biding his time waiting for the next thing. Nothing to see here. No siree.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well that is one amazing post. Congrats to Pam! Can't wait to hear what the show is about and her stories.

Regarding the "outreach" initiatives - it is amazing how many companies are looking for people to do this sort of work. An old model that will likely amount to nothing bankable.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Oz was not on but I wondered if our ladies got to meet Lorena Bobbett and Tonya Harding. Full audience so I did look but there weren't many cut aways to audience reactions so I didn't see nothin;.

She might have taped an Oz segment later in the day, or earlier.

Jimmy B said...

No - she was taped for a future show....

But it was a GREAT show according to her - I hope to post what the airdate will be soon!