Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A better week

The unreasonable pace of the past few weeks has slackened somewhat this week, with me actually getting to do things like get more than 5 hours of sleep some nights, and put my feet up in my hotel room. There's still a lot to do, of course, but it's doable without working TO DEATH. Not quite not-busy enough for me to sneak off to see Transformers 2, Electric Boogaloo, however.

I had a checkpoint on my "reboot" project with the sponsors, who are so far thrilled with the different direction I've taken the project and are appreciative of the things I am uncovering. On the OTHER project, there's a little lull while I marshall the troops to start planning action on my findings... but a few key people are out this week, so I can only plan.

I had a dinner out with people from the company I'm subbing through. The company is one I knew from my previous work, and I'm quite grateful to them for giving me a short term gig, and for their fast payment, which is unusual in the industry. We went to a cuban food place in downtown Philly called Mixto. As we walked through the neighborhood, I grew excited about the upcoming change from Jersey to Philly for me... this will be my stomping grounds. I will get to know Philly. Of the group, 3 had lived in Manhattan before, and all said Philly had more to offer them.

One of the gang is a doctor who, like me, is a subcontractor. Michael is an oncologist who is full of humorous yet grisly anecdotes, and every third story ends with "of course, he died." He has a farm, is quite wealthy, and told a great story about accompanying a friend to Peru to visit Machu Piccu a few years back. They started at the bottom, and Michael decided to forgo the 3 day hike. He went back to the hotel, and took a helicopter to meet his friend at the top 3 days later, fresh as a daisy. He's that kind of guy.

Today the sight of some geese outside our window (they took over where the Mister Softee truck had been.... but it's been cold and rainy for weeks and I haven't seen that ice cream truck since my first posting!) It launched into a story about Guinea Hens and a lonely turkey who was hatched with them and thinks he's a hen too. He waits at the base of the tree that they all roost in all night. Fortunately, that cute story did NOT end with "of course he's dead now."

Anyway, I had a cup of coffee with the owner of the company today, and he has offered me a position... and it's quite tempting. It addresses all of my concerns: You bill hourly and get a good cut of the proceeds (indeed, the percentage is the same as my OLD company took for Independents), health benefits, and additional percentages based on sales. So I could do nothing but bill and get about as good a deal as any sub firm would give me. But if I sell a little on the side, it's all upside. Plus, health insurance. He even said I could work my next year in Philly for them at the rate I negotiated with them, they'd take ZERO percent just to have me with them.

It's pretty tempting. I told him I was just getting out of a bad relationship and needed some time to think, and he said the offer's open anytime I want to take it. That's pretty cool. I could just keep doing side work too, if that's what I prefer.

Talked to the family today on iChat: Bella is still loving Sync, and learned how to flip underwater ("it's easy" she says, with a confident smirk). Isaac is Isaac, and I'm looking forward to more cuddles this weekend. Zinsser is being trained by Pamela and Bella, and he knows "Sit" and "Come" pretty well, and is learning how to walk on is leash. He's adorable and I love him.

We have a third kid - Jenny has been spending several days a week at our house while JeMae and Randy are at work. Having her around is a nice buffer - she plays with both Bella and Isaac, and offers some cushioning between the two, who left to their own devices would probably tear eachother from limb to limb some days.

I haven't been working out much on the road - things have just been too busy - but I found time this morning to give it a go. I did 2/3 of my BodyAttack class, and felt like I was going to flat out DIE. Time Out called today to ask if I could teach this weekend, and I had to decline - I'm not in good enough shape to do the workout, much less lead the class. It was a wakeup call, and I'll be getting back on the exercise stick soon. At least it hasn't hit my waistline yet - all pants still fit. I repeat, all pants still fit.

Well, a little more work left in the evening, so off to it!

No comments: