Sunday, September 26, 2010

An Epic Week

While I usually keep things "no names, no companies" (except for movies, books, and music that I enjoy), I want to share something about the week I just had. One of the pieces of software I've been implementing at various sites including in Cleveland is "Epic". Epic is a full suite of hospital and physician management software tools, based around a centralized patient record. They have inpatient EMR, pharmacy, radiology, billing, ambulatory practice management, operating room, anesthesia, opthamology, and many more modules.

And people LOVE it. They are the fastest growing software company out there in this market space, and when we hear about someone NOT going Epic, there are usually a bunch of extenuating circumstances they're tied into. Is it the BEST software? Not necessarily... really what CAN be? But they have some clear advantages:

The company was founded by a software developer in 1979 and has grown organically. The founder is still in charge, and is fiercely independent. They build everything, they never acquire other companies. They are privately held and always will be. They build what they want to build, and their customers help them improve it. . Every person in the organization has an office. With a door. So they keep building offices in a cornfield in Verona. Anyone can approach the founder and she's on a first name basis with everyone.

They don't have a professional services arm: While a lot of companies sell you the software for a song then sell you the services to maintain it, Epic won't go there: Their software costs $X and that's non-negotiable. There is one way to have it cost less, and that is for you to HIRE as employees people on your staff who can maintain it. If you meet certain "self sufficiency" criteria, you can get a discount on your annual fees.

Every year, their customers attend one conference, held by Epic in their Verona Wisconsin location. It is well attended partially because you need to send people as a part of the annual discount, but also because it is a great way to re-connect with the community. CIOs, CFOs, and Directors from every single customer make the trek, as do their core support teams.

Now, let's put a different hat on here: Epic doesn't sell services, and they encourage clients to be self sufficient. This has spelled an excellent opportunity for consultants to staff these projects. I'm one of those, as are a few people in my firm. The company I left last year dealt exclusively in Epic staffing. So if you're in this business, you must know that UGM is an amazing opportunity to connect with potential customers.

So that's where I was last week - hanging out in Verona. My name badge looked like any other customer's, and I struck up conversations with people at many clients. Of course I was also wearing the hat of my current client, so I'd say that easily 80% of my conversations were actually tactical with peers... but there were 20% that were pure mining, and there are some definite opportunities I'll be following up on.

But more than the potential opportunities, something else struck me this year: This company impresses the heck out of me. They're so focused on a true mission, not beholden to shareholders, just trying to make a good product, and it's WORKING. They are the tool of choice across the country and even internationally. They try things out, they listen to their customers, and they aren't afraid to learn. They have an open culture that respects individual contribution.

It feels like a place I'd want to belong. Of course there are downsides. You need to live in Madison. No exceptions. There's a lot of travel, but it's here and there, not all one place. There's an expectation of dedication and hard work... but that's something I bring anyway.

The bottom line is that I'm thinking about what I could bring to them... maybe it is just that I continue to be a good partner on the outside, someone they can trust to install their software well (as I already am). But maybe there is something for me inside. Maybe. Just thinking about it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. You're likely too old to get a job at Epic.
2. "Hard work and dedication" equates to countless hours often without the support of your manager to ease your workload.

Jimmy B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

1. No one is too old to get a job at Epic. It's all about your intelligence level and work ethic, not your age. Give it a shot!

2. An Epic "manager" is more of a guide and I've found the vast majority of them to be extremely supportive of their team members. Much of the responsibility for being overworked lies on the shoulders of the person who feels overworked. :-) With independance comes the responsibility to alert your manager when your expectations aren't being met or you don't feel supported. At Epic the dedication level is super high (we love what we do!) and many employees have type A personalities. Combine those and you wind up with a lot of folks who drive themselves to work hard and get things done right. I love it.

Jimmy B said...

Wow! I have an Epic Reader!!! ;->

Anonymous said...

Just have to second Anonymous above. I started here at Epic not too long ago, and I can already tell that all the whining you'll hear online about Epic is just that - whining. People that don't know how to ask for help WILL fail here because the learning curve is pretty steep, and I imagine that people can feel trapped if they're unwilling to be outgoing. I love the independence I'm given here, and when I need help, I ask for it, and I get it right away (and there are a million people I can go to!). It's easy to drown/get lost/freak out in a big pond full of big fish if you're not willing to put in the effort to grow, but if you do your part, you'll be amazed with the results. It's great to be in a building full of one-man powerhouses all day. :) And the "character traits" that you noticed about Epic are exactly what drew me here - my last job was at a company that didn't have the vision that Epic has, and it drove me nuts.

Anonymous said...

You have quite a few - this was sent to the whole company.

Jimmy B said...

Wowsa! Hi Everybody!

Jimmy B said...

PS - I was a little too snarky in one of my responses - knowing that i have a larger audience, I removed that little post. Just so you know.

Howard said...

Jim, you have such a gift of pithy summarization. Miss you, big guy.
Howard

bean said...

Hi Jim, our healthcare facility up here in Canada is looking at vendor options for a new facility. Are you aware of any Epic healthcare customers in Canada, specifically the GTA?

Jimmy B said...

Hi Bean: As far as I know Epic's international presence is in Dubai and the Netherlands only. There is at least one client with a US install running Epic clinicals in Toronto, but not running billing through there.

Alas I don't know the Canadian market well enough to give much more info...

bean said...

Thanks for responding to my question, do you know who the Toronto client is , I am trying to get a feel from user perspective and would also like to know if the tool has been Canadianized.

Jimmy B said...

Cleveland Clinic... but again, I'm not SURE of what degree of Canadian-ness they're supporting.