Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A visit to the future

Last night I was in the air headed to Boston. I was on the Gogo internet (as I am most flights nowadays - I'm hooked), and got a few emails from my friends Paul and Caesar, and we figured out that all three of us were in the air at the same time: Caesar coming from BOS to SEA, Paul going SFO to JFK, and me MSP to BOS. After a few geeky "oh my goodness" emails, we decided to try to videochat eachother. We weren't able to get a 3 way chat going, but I did have a few seconds of grainy video of each of my pals, where we waved and marveled at the very IDEA that we were this connected, not to mention that we were all flying at 10pm on a Monday night.

It was a very futuristic moment.

I landed at 1045, got to the hotel by 1130 ($45 cab fare) and was asleep by midnight.... but it was a crappy sleep because I had an early meeting.

I was in Boston for a single 1 hour meeting at 8 in the morning - a sales presentation to a new client. The pitch went well. I had walked the 1.5 miles from the hotel to the hospital and walked back again. I had late checkout so I did a few hours of meetings in my room, then started to meander towards the airport. I was in Brookline and started the pedometer. I wandered up Beacon street, up Newbury, stopped for lunch at Sonsie, went up through Boston common, through downtown, to South Station, where I caught a bus to the Airport. I was on conference calls for most of my meander. The Pedometer registered over 5 miles walked, and my final bus fare to the airport was $2.

I'm paying for it with some sore feet, and achey ears.

The next few weeks will be a lot of busy: I was hoping for a quieter few weeks, but one of my partners in the firm has taken gravely ill - he has had a persistent respiratory issue for the past year, which has taken a hard turn and he was put on bed rest immediately, for 6 weeks. The problem is that he was set to start a new project TODAY in Houston, which is a Digital Radiology assessment. Unfortunately I'm the only other person in the firm who has this skillset, so I'll have to add it to my list of things to get done. Hey, it's billing, and I'll consider it a downpayment on my next vacation.

I have more work to get done, but I think I need to take a little break and watch a little of that Benedict Cumberbatch in Sherlock.

No comments: