Wednesday, May 08, 2013

My Exercise Goals

I do like to exercise, and try to do at least two good workouts a week: Recently it's been a lot of running with pushups and pullups mixed in. This is consistent with my Three Goals of Fitness (with sub-goals):

1) Self Preservation in case of animal attack or apocalypse: Be able to run away from someone or something at a good speed for at least a mile. In case s**t goes down and it gets weird. Also be able to pull myself up into a tree should the need arise.

2) To wear clothes that look good on me, and not have to buy more because I got fat. 34 nevermore.

3) To play with my kids: Have enough energy to run around with the kids, to lift them and wrestle, ride bikes, climb hills, etc. Be fully physically present for them. Corollary to this is to have enough cardiac health not to keel over during these activities.

That's it. That's all I want. Not looking to bench press my weight, or build up a swimmers upper body. Not looking for a six pack - I'm a goofy looking guy and putting some muscles on that isn't necessarily all that productive.

I was telling my friend Paul about this, and he said "that's totally Paleo". Apparently Paleo exercises are all tuned around primitive survival skill type exercises. And I guess it is. Not sure I'd do that well against a saber tooth tiger, however.

No comments: