Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Extension, and Food.

1) So I'm in Cleveland for a little while longer: They haven't yet found my replacement so I got a pre-emptive 3 month extension. I'm hoping we can roll me out sooner, so let me just put the vibes out there: THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO BE, AND A FUN JOB. PLEASE COME TAKE IT FROM ME. There, I invite a smart, effective person to come and be a permanent part of the project.

Actually the past 2 weeks have been better than ever - with some project velocity starting up, things are feeling achievable. I would actually feel good about handing this to someone to carry on, as opposed to tapping "run" in Morse Code on their palm during the handshake (Dash-Dot-Dash, Dot-Dot-Dash, Dash-Dot)

Anyway, I'm looking at probably June or July for my great escape. But I will escape.

2) Had a bookend evening here tonight: Jeff who started with me back in November has decided to move on to another gig, and tomorrow is his last day. We had found him a permanent place on the team, and all was looking pretty good for a long gig, but he got wooed into a higher profile position - he gets a "director" next to his name. I can't blame him: Having "director" on my title from the late 90s was pure Resume Gold.

Anyway, we went out to Geraci's for "Cleveland's Best Pizza" - which was one of the first places we went back in the day, and helped establish the "it's good... for Cleveland" meme. The pizza was delicious: The thick cut pepperoni was again amazing.

3) Last night was a farewell party for Jeff at "The Boneyard", a combo sports bar and video arcade with a graveyard theme. I had a disturbing hot dog - 1/4 lb. I must say that as eating a dog like that, the sheer volume of it makes you think a little too much about its hot dogness. It sort of put me into an existential crisis, and I left a fair amount of it behind. One of my neighbors at the table had the right idea - he cut it up like kielbasa and enjoyed it with a fork. That would have worked.

As to the "party" - I was the only one to charge up a boneyard card, and I was the only guy who did a few rounds of Dance Dance Revolution. I felt like a lonely geek. But I did pretty well, all considered. I wound up giving Jeff a ride home (someone bought him some tequila shots, and he indulged). This morning I drove him to his car, and we discovered his keys were not in his pockets, nor in his backpack. Later in the day he ransacked his hotel room, inquired at the boneyard... and finally asked me to check my car. There they were on the floor. DOH!

No comments: