Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Mixing Mystery

I've been working up this new song, and last night I felt like I had a good mix... but it had been a few hours with the cans on, and it was hard to tell.  So I burned a CD for the car today.

The mix, it was terrible.

But I listened to the song a good dozen times throughout the day, and began to realize what was wrong, bit by bit.  The snare wasn't REALLY too soft, it was the bass creating too much "boom" in the mix, it was throwing off the other parts.  Also, there was a part that created a horrible clash at two parts of the song, which was odd because note-wise it was just right.  But the OVERTONES were out of tune?

I came home and sprinted upstairs, spent an hour applying the "lessons" I'd learned, and suddenly the mix "gelled" in a beautiful way.  But I didn't change any notes, or really any sounds... it was just in how they were mixed.

There's probably a life lesson in there somewhere - where you have fixed elements of your world, and rather than pitching any of them over the side, look to fix the mix a little.  

Or maybe not.  Maybe it's just music.

No comments: