Saturday, February 25, 2006

Still Workin'

I finally got an exit date on my longest-term client (2.5 years at a hospital system) for 3/31 - a date that was apparently selected by the CIO for cost cutting measures, having no regard for where the project was at. I've been working on my transition, however, and was starting to look for my next gig.

I had one opportunity possible through my current firm, and one outside of my firm... Both sounded interesting, but the inside gig was a software eval and RFP, and would require navigating a political maze of Cardiologists. The outside gig was a step back in time for my resume doing a big Data Warehouse, and would have been a 40 minute commute.

Out of the blue Thursday, I got a call from a peer at my current firm, grilling me on some skills I have. By 4pm she had my latest resume. By 2pm Friday I had an interview at ANOTHER hospital - this would be managing development and production environments for a huge system install: Cards on the table, I haven't done this before, but I know what to do. It's in a very hot bit of software, would grow my skills, and it's early in the project, so it's being PROACTIVE rather than reactive. Add to this, I have some friends on the team already, AND it's 10 min from my home.

The interview went VERY well - By the end, we were talking about WHEN I start, not IF. Then I had a conference call to get on for another client - and they let me use an office. While I was on this call, I was watching my email, and saw the proposal, the statement of work, and the approvals all come across, so when I left at 4pm, I knew I had the job.

And it involves a raise too! So no work worries for many more moons, and this sets me up even better for the NEXT gig.

It was a good day.

No comments: