Monday, March 02, 2009

A fresh week...

I am continuing my path to peacefulness this week, looking for the good things in life to focus on. Which is helpful when you're in Tacoma with a series of planned meetings and discover that two of them have been canceled without your knowledge. I have plenty of other things to do here. Plenty.

Sunday I took the kids to the Zoo for a change - Isaac was jumping up and down yelling with excitement about the monkeys, the dolphins, the fish, the bear... and cowering before the terror of the shark. Bella was eagerly showing Isaac just about everything. The Zoo was a bit quiet - lots of exhibits under construction (absent: Ring Tailed Lemurs, Gibbons, Dolphin Show), but some perpetually sleepy creatures were up and at'em for us: The Loris (slow and pygmy) and the Otters were fully active.

At the end, the kids suckered me into getting stuffed animals at the Zoo Store. Bella picked a plush wolverine (which was far sweeter looking than the real thing). She got a faraway look in her eye and averred "I love this wolverine as much as my doggy the dog. Not more, not less, but AS MUCH". Of course, last night, who was she hollering for in the middle of the night? Not wolverine. Doggy. Isaac got a little monkey which he loved deeply for around 8 minutes and then forgot all about it.

We had another family come over last night for Taco night. As usual Bella wolfed down 8 tacos plus dessert. In the night she called out that her legs were hurting - a sure sign that this food is going right into the growing factory. Anyway, the family has kids that worked well with Isaac and Bella, and there was a nonstop din of child mirth. We were concerned initially - the visiting dad had been laid off, and we were hoping for good things for them. By the time they arrived, he already had another, better job. So I'm encouraged that there IS work out there...

As I prepared to leave today, Isaac was pretty obviously aware that I was leaving for a few days, and needed a LOT of dad cuddles. We played airplane and wrassled quite a bit, and also had some quiet hugs. Traveling isn't easy on the family, and I'm so appreciative to them for supporting me... even when sometimes the purpose of the trip seems moot (like when people DON'T SHOW UP TO MEETINGS).

I've got a good networking dinner set up for tonight, and I'll be seeing Paul and Caesar tomorrow, so things are not a total loss....

On the plane today, they preboarded us in First, and then stopped boarding - the pilots were stuck at a different airport and we were going to be delayed for 45 minutes. So we were given the option - hang out on the plane and have some snacks and coffee, or deplane. We all stayed put (stand in the crowded gate, or sit comfortably and have a snack?). Not 2 minutes later, they announced they had found an "alternate crew" and we were going to take off as planned. I think that it may have actually been a thought experiment. I kept looking for people with lab coats and clipboards. Did we pass? Fail?

I'm off for the evening...

No comments: