Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Plots and Plans

I've had a trifecta of "the world working in mysterious ways" recently.

1) Good buddy Yoshi started his dream job with Pixar this week. How did he get there? 10 years working at a science museum, 2 years away from home at grad school, 1 year at a software startup in Austin TX, and a chance encounter. Somehow all of those components came together to make this Pixar job work for him. Along the way, there was heartbreak and difficulties, but I tell you, if you asked him 10 years ago what his dream job was, this would pretty much be it. And he got there.

2) Had lunch today with Mom. When we made the lunch date 2 weeks ago, things were sounding a bit sad and desperate - Mom's a storyteller and makes money here and there, but is not following any sort of traditional career path (nor should she - the office life is not for her!). But two weeks ago, things were looking a bit grim. So we made the date.

In the meantime, three bits of synchronicity cropped up: a good friend has found a niche writing state grants and needs some help proofreading/editing. That's 20 hr/week. She's been asked to present a proposal for storytelling for a summer language program... from someone who just happened to be enjoying a cup of coffee when she was telling at a coffee shop. AND her great work on "My War" last year has led to another similar potential project.

So when we had our lunch at Mayslacks (a northeast Mpls institution with roast beef sammiches as big as Isaac's skull), the air was not desperate, but rather excited: What of these opportunities will prove the most lucrative? Of course we did talk about NEW possibilities as well, but I was so happy to see the universe had delivered some opportunities.

3) For my own part, my "next big thing" search has really accelerated: I did the math and figured out that while April will be an OK month, May and June will be extremely LEAN - to the point of not being livable with our expenses (we're talking selling my gold tooth). So I gotta get out. The die is cast, I'm not messing around, I'm 100% out in the world looking for the next big thing.

I did another round of reaching out yesterday, and have a couple of very interesting opportunities in my lap now. I've gone from no hope to a full HANDFUL of new options. Just this reaching out has really given me some amazing opportunities. As one person said "look at this resume - WHY did they have him doing sales? He's got an incredible consulting resume!!!" Now, these gigs will involve travel, which is something we're (Pamela and I, not Isaac and Bella) prepared to accept for the time being. But they'll re-energize my soul, give me work that I can be proud of, and frankly get me more jing-a-ling.

To assist in my exit, I prepared a PowerPoint to review with my boss explaining why he should lay me off and give me severance rather than letting me quit... A bold move, I admit, but actually pretty amusing. I had a co-worker proof read it without telling her what it was about, and she was curled up on the floor in laughing hysterics for a full 30 minutes.

I mean really: Asking to be fired is strange enough. But in PowerPoint? I'm blazing new trails. The only trick: Do I still get to go to Portland next week? (I really want one more Voodoo donut!!!!).

So I'm believing in synchronicity - that even in this crazy climate that there are opportunities for a person like me, and I'm stepping forward. STEP.

No comments: