Friday, October 16, 2009

Jack o Lantern

ou may recall last year when my Isaac had an unfortunate rendezvous with a stair and wound up with 26 stitches. Well, this morning he went to the dentist, and we discovered that in the year since then, one of his front top teeth has "died" and is abscessed - and is probably giving him some pain. So we have an appointment for Tuesday AM for him to go to an oral surgeon to clean it all up and remove that tooth.

And so my boy will have a missing front tooth for the next 4 years until his permanent one comes in. And I know he'll be just as charming and adorable, and I think it'll help his mood not to be in pain - not that he ever lets us know about that - he's such a happy guy I think he just shrugs it off. And strangely, there's neighborhood precedent: Theo up the block had one of his top front teeth knocked out when he was very small (I think 2 1/2), he's 5 now. So gap toothed boys are getting to be a bit of the fashion in the neighborhood.

But it's emotional, and Isaac does have such a wonderful smile today. I'd be lying to say it doesn't bring a tear to my eye. We had a lot of hugs today.

It was a long week in Philly - a lot of running around: One day in Allentown, one morning and one evening in New Jersey, and a lot of time working working working. I had a big deliverable due for Friday, but by Wednesday, we had acquired sufficient new information as to some costs involved AND some change in scope of projects we would be relying upon, we decided to shelve the presentation and take ourselves off the agenda.

And some of the ways in which we are seeing our project change are going to cause some big changes in my involvement: This may wind up turning into an internal process improvement project, along with a scope increase for their electronic medical record project, both of which would be handled by default by their internal teams. I may spend 2-3 more months getting everything arranged, and then shuffle off to let them act upon it.

Which might not be a bad thing, because a requirement came down the pike for a project manager in Fort Myers Florida that I'm the only person in the company with the right credentials for. So spending 50% time in sunny Florida starting in November might not be the worst idea... and Pamela may even want to bring the kiddos on down!

As a long week, I didn't come home Thursday, but instead caught a morning flight today. And for the second time in a week, I had an evening out with a co-worker - this time one of my pals from the Jersey project. We met for drinks and food at El Vez in Center City Philly - 3 blocks from my hotel, and a cab ride for him. We had some margaritas, and good laughs. The evening ended with two barely sipped absinthe cocktails and a stumble home... but I'm alive today.

After the madness of the past many weekends, it'll be nice to have a somewhat under-scheduled weekend ahead. We had my Dad and Karen over for pizza tonight, and the kids were out of their minds - lots of showing off and wrestling. Bella was asleep by 8:30, which speaks to how zonked she was. Tomorrow is pretty open, and after the kids go to bed, I'll have my Avengers over for late night basement haunting. Because I need my boys.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awww, what a brave little boy! I recall how concerned you were after the tumble and it is no surprise that the trauma continued to have consequences. Remember how that eagle was watching over him the next day on the walk to the playground?
Hope this weekend is a good one and there are lots more hugs and smiles to share.