Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Preparing to explode

I just got back from a wonderful dinner with my not-really-client John who helped me find this gig in Philly, with his wife and 18 month old son. They live in a cool converted warehouse space with one really big room, and the son sleeps behind a curtain - cool urban living, but they're already contemplating a move.

To prepare I had given John my two "watch out" foods - Sensitive to dairy, and can't do walnuts. He wrote back regretting that he won't be able to make his cheese and walnut pot pie... and all seemed to be going to plan. My spidey sense tingled however, and I loaded up on the allergy meds before heading over.

He met me at the train and took me to the swanky pad, where we were greeted by a big dog - of the "i'm allergic to it" sort. But I was friendly. I played with the boy, some sharing of crackers, some piggy back rides, some "my what a lumpy sofa" play. Then he was off to bed and dinner came out.

Shrimp Stir Fry.

Now, I rarely talk about shrimp: I don't think of it much. And it's something I don't mind eating. But shrimp has an effect on me. It gives me uproarious gas. But having already talked about allergies, I didn't think it right to say no, plus I figured I usually have an hour or two before the party begins, so I'd be back at the hotel... By this point, I didn't even blink at the flourless chocolate cake for dessert: I just ate the damn thing, and will deal with the breakout.

I'm back at the hotel now, waiting for the fireworks.

On the plus side, we had a great evening - we get along well, and we even kept the shop talk restrained and involved his wife: She is a nurse, and had great stories about the clinic she works at... as well as her time in the Dominican Republic - she did free clinic work there last year, and it made a huge impression on her.

I'm going to hit the hay early and hope I don't go into anaphylactic shock before the morning, when I need to pick up a Zipcar and drive to Allentown for a one day IT assessment. Love my work!

That's about it for now!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh dear. Well I hope you managed and that the night was not as dire as you thought it might be. Do you have Grandma's "french" gut? I think I read somewhere that the principle cause of death among the Voyageurs was exploding guts - or something more medically correct. A diet of pea soup and salt pork will do that. Wishing you well.