Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Halloween and More

Another impossibly busy weekend, as usual. It was short, with me not getting back until Friday afternoon.

Now kids, I need to confess that I'm getting old. Not the spry thing I once was. And at some point in the last year, I acquired a "condition" - a mild hernia. It very well could have come during my fitness craze, or perhaps while hoisting my children over my head... but the fact remains that there's a bit poking through (not hideously - just a little bump), and decided to see a surgeon about it. So Friday afternoon I met with a guy who had been recommended by two neighbors. Dr Grubbs confirmed that yes, I have not just one, but TWO hernias. The fellow who was along with said "looks like a two-fer!". Dr Grubbs countered "I'd prefer a NO-fer".

He laid the facts out for me: Only 1 of a thousand hernias ever develop into something painful. But the surgery itself has an up to 10% chance of lasting soreness. So he invited me to do the math: .1% chance of pain, which could be operated on as needed, or 10% chance of pain if I pre-emptively operate. Given that the bulge is only cosmetic, and not painful in the least, I'm going for the "wait and see" option. So yay, a surgeon who isn't afraid to turn away business when it's not needed? That's heartening.

Halloween itself was a blast: Pamela was a fighting nun, Bella was a ghost (non-animal), Isaac was a robot, and I was a fancy french lobster. See?



I dare you not to sing "Lobster Face" to the tune of Lady Gaga's Poker Face. I DARE YOU. Anyway, we had a fine evening of candy gathering. Isaac, Zinsser, and I turned in early (8:15), and Pamela and Bella went on to party with the neighborhood until 11. It was very nice to be zonked out with my dog. I love my dog.

Sunday was a day of mostly sitting around recovering from the excitement. We had big plans, but they were for naught. Instead we enjoyed eachother's company. I headed back out to Philly Monday AM, and hightailed it right up to Allentown for some meetings which went into the evening. I got home and decided to veg out with a movie, and watched "The Hangover" which had been positioned as "incredibly funny" by several people. Maybe I was just too tired, but it didn't really do much for me - it felt like a greatest hits of other funnier movies... I was counting the references until I was exhausted.

it was mostly harmless (except in the parts where it was just offensive). Just not the belly laughs I was looking for.

This morning I got up early, ready to visit the client, and discovered the subway and trolley stations were locked. Silly me, I thought "hmm, this entrance is closed, let me find another". I wandered 3 blocks before figuring out: TRANSIT STRiKE. So I hoofed it to the client, who is about 25 city blocks away from my hotel (but very convenient when the metro is running!). I did a chinese lesson, and listened to This American Life.

I love This American Life, because I love imperfect voices telling stories. This week, it started with a woman who kept getting quieter and quieter, until her voice was rattling because she wasn't putting enough air to keep the vocal cords humming... It sent chills down my spine. Sometimes Melissa Block gets to that conspiratorial rattle too. Those are good days. But enough about the craziness of my voice fetish. The point is I walked to work on a beautiful morning, and I got a lot of work done.

Today I was a data wrangler - loading patient records from multiple systems and looking for mismatches. It's actually pretty fun, but it's definitely below my paygrade... but again, it's stuff that needs doing, and I'm glad to help. My boss was in the next room putting presentations together for a big meeting this afternoon. A meeting that got canceled at the last minute because one of the key participants was called into surgery, leaving the other 29 people who had found their way over in the middle of a transit strike without a meeting to attend.

I strolled back, with the growing realization the the loafers I was wearing were not intended for this long haul. I'm nursing some chafed ankles now, and am going to wear my running shoes on my hike tomorrow, and try not to think of 1980's career ladies hustling down the street with white tretorns.

No word on Fort Myers, by the way.

Allright, got a little more work to do tonight, so have a good one.

This afternoon we were supposed to have a couple of meetings...

No comments: