Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Some Images

1) Waiting in line watching while the woman at the register slowly fishes out her money, then counts it out. The woman in front of me was shifting from leg to leg with impatience, practically snorting with annoyance. So naturally when it was her turn at the register, she handed the person her item, then set her bag down, started fishing for her purse...

PEOPLE: You are buying something. You are sitting in line with nothing to do. Why not get your money out in advance? Is everyone secretly thinking they'll get to the register and the cashier will say "aww honey, it's free day today for you!" And if THAT happened, what hassle it would be to put that money back in your purse.

And I assure you in the above examples, these people were not juggling kids, nor did they have their hands full. Nope - it is just pooooooor planning.

2) I'm finding myself in some "poor communication" situations: At my primary client, during a meeting with higher ups to discuss our strategic plan, I worked through a powerpoint that I believed represented our best work. And at the end of the meeting, my boss pulled from a manilla folder HIS version of the strategic plan, complete with images lifted from my earlier work, but with a direction I had never seen. I work 10 feet from this guy, we've known about this meeting for weeks, I put this thing together, and he was working on a shadow plan in secret? Very strange.

At my Jersey client, I have a problem: I'm managing two of the people working out there, both of whom report to one woman who has caused problems in the past. She has a malicious selective memory, and is over her head and is quick to deflect blame. My "emergency" project was cleaning up after another consultant who ran afoul of her... and I'm trying to keep a lid on things... but it's hard when I get emails that say "CALL ME IMMEDIATELY". So I call, and she wants me to know she's "concerned" about my person. She hasn't done anything wrong, no, it's all going well.... but there's something... something she can't put her finger on. And she wants me to look into it.

Seriously: I'm getting emergency calls about a "Vibe", even though all empirical evidence indicates that everything is going well on the project. Sigh.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

After combining the issues from both posts I wonder if what is being revealed (in no particular order, as Samantha Harris would say on DWTS) is that your gut is speaking, longing for a discussion or a dance off. When you work with a strategic plan you should have sufficient "bread crumbs" to lead back to goals and core values but there is always some room for creativity. Whether this creativity is fruitful or just distracting "mission drift" remains to be seen. All I can say for sure is that I care about you and want all to be well in your good life.