Wednesday, June 16, 2010

It's an ok week...

Those big meetings with lots of people in the room... I haven't spent that much time in them. I've been interviewing people to join the team, and doing planning work, but when you get right down to it, the subjects they're discussing are really low-level "once you're done doing X, do you want to do Y or Z?" sort of design questions. And my job is to make sure there's a team in place who can deliver on those decisions, but not to participate in the making of those decisions.

So in a strange way, the week has been a good one for just getting REAL work done - all of the people I need to be managing have things to be doing.

I started "the conversation" with my boss today, too. I let him know that while I'm happy to be helping out, this isn't the work I prefer, and that I'm looking to transition. It was pretty bold. And we're working on our plan. He had always planned to replace me, but he admitted he was getting complacent because I was actually doing a good job... so we're back on track with the replace-me project.

And just in time - the other, more fun opportunities are popping up all over the place - Data Warehouse, PACS, Cardiovascular.... I'm looking forward to a work-at-home week next week: I'm getting all bold with my demands now that I know that a) I'll be outta there soon-ish, and b) there are other opportunities.

On the home front... Bella has been going to swim camp in the mornings, and Pamela and Isaac have been bringing lunch to the pool for afternoons of splashy fun. We have memberships at the Edina Pool which has both a regular pool (with diving boards AND a ZipLine), and a kiddy splashy area. Isaac and Bella love both areas. I'll be going with them this weekend I hope, should the weather hold. Maybe I'll sneak out there with them during the week next week too... Shhhhhh don't tell anyone.

Got a report from Pamela that Isaac was "adopted" by 4 5th grade boys at the playground today, and the 5 of them played for over an hour. Apparently, they treated Isaac well and there was no teasing - and at the end, they all gave Isaac a hug. The Mayor in full effect.

Media Update:
"Check it Out with Dr Steve Brule" is an a strange fake cable-access show starring John C Reilly as a frizzy haired idiot. These 11 minute shows are simply ridiculous, and I love them. Watch them HERE

Buffy: I'm 3/4 of the way through Season 3, and am in complete awe. Just watched two classic episodes - The Zeppo and Doppelgangerland. This is high art. If you're curious about Buffy, you can pretty much start with Season 2... just get some background details from someone in the know. Season 1 was uneven and while sometimes fun, it wasn't great. But hoo boy, by Season 3, it is just SMOKING. Also, I may need to re-evaluate my calling Isaac "The Mayor" based on what is happening on the show...

So You Think You Can Dance: Not sure about the big re-structuring of the show format, but the past two seasons there were so many issues with "dud partners" - the whole "Mollee and Nathan" thing - how she really blossomed once she got a new partner, and the whole "Evan" thing... So I think the superstars concept is great, especially since Kathryn and Mark are back...

Time to rest. I will NOT Watch one more Buffy before bed. REALLY.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Media check in: SYTYCD is much improved this year by its streamlining - we say as we watched the voting week segment last night. We don't have to get rid of a boy and a girl. The carnage that ensued from those divisions got rid of some good people too early in seasons past. This year the field of guys is way stronger than the field of gals - and we may find ourselves with an all guy field with all gal all stars. Who knows? The focus the judges are afforded by just having the give notes to one partner has given us some amazing moments in guidance already. I'M taking notes for my storytelling - although only in a general way.