Saturday, June 26, 2010

A good week at home

It was a work-from-home week, and it was wonderful... but no less busy than any other week, alas. I have over 20 hours of regularly scheduled conference calls every week, so I spent a lot of time up on the 3rd floor with the handsfree earpiece in. My cellphone bill will be atrocious: I've already hit 2300 minutes for the month and have a week left in the billing cycle.

Lots of good work done, however... Did have a bit of a blow to discover that one of the two remaining candidates for my permanent replacement out in Cleveland has taken a permanent position in New York. So we're down to either one outsider, or... I don't know. I'm still holding to my August date, however. If they can't move on their own behalf, I can't help them.

Had the boys over for scotch on Wednesday: We went light - only a 4 bottle lineup, including a very old Caol Ila, an amazing Longrow 18, and my Longmorn 30.... and to end we couldn't resist adding in my Port Ellen 27, which was cashed in the process. As to the movie, it was the horrible horrible movie 2012. We went into it with our expectations well planted in the basement, and somehow it STILL managed to disappoint us. There was just too much that didn't work, and it was just too too too terrible. It's tough when a movie has such amazing set pieces (They dropped an aircraft carrier RIGHT ON THE PRESIDENT'S FACE), and yet is so completely unsatisfying. We made due with non-stop commentary... and that only barely got us to the end. When Captain Squintyface says "there's a reason they call it the Cape of Good Hope", all three of us just groaned and threw up our hands.

I'm sure you're wondering: No I didn't get an iPhone4 yet: I'm more than happy to let the craze die down for a while and pick one up in more measured circumstances in a couple of weeks. I wouldn't mind getting the white one, which doesn't come out until late July anyway.

It's a quiet morning here in Edina: We had some storms blow through last night, and the tornado sirens went off, which had Bella in tears. But 30 min later, it was all clear. I'm Solo Dad for a couple of days: Pamela and her "free range chickens" got a line on a free cabin (with boat) for the weekend, so they piled into a minivan with margarita fixings, diet coke, and prosecco and chocolate and headed up north. So the kids and I have some fun planned, starting with Isaac's swim lesson in a few minutes.

No comments: