Sunday, March 17, 2013

Just Do It Update

This morning I hit my first goal - 10 30-minute piano practice sessions.  We are going out for a steak dinner tonight at Pittsburgh Blue in Edina.  The rest of the family is now envious, and has vowed to "catch up" on their projects...   Objective Achieved?

I'm adding to the repertoire:  When I was a kid, I focused on the Suzuki method, but many of my non-suzuki friends would sit down to the piano and do the intro to Joplin's The Entertainer.  I recall being mildly envious of them, playing a "popular" song rather than the classical pieces I did...

So I downloaded some sheet music and got to work on it this morning:  My first thought is that I am probably happy I didn't try it back then - lots of big octave spans and jumping left hand comping.  I don't think my hands, though long-fingered and unquestionably elegant, would have been happy with those big fisted chords.  My hands are now just great for that sort of thing, however.

The current play list is, then:
 - Scales to wake up the fingers
 - Suzuki Book 2, pieces 1-6.
 - The Entertainer
 - Somebody by Depeche Mode.  Of course.

This is quite fun.

No comments: