Sunday, March 03, 2013

Just Do It

Motivational Bribery at the House.

While I've mused about "100 hours" and what can be done, I'm now lowering my sights - there's a lot you can learn just by practicing it 10 times.  It helps that I'm desperate for ways to incent Bella to practice her guitar - she really is good, and when she practices, she gets better so incredibly fast...

So I got an idea:  The JUST DO IT list:  A name, a task, ten checkboxes, and a reward.  For Bella, it's 10 times practicing guitar, and she gets a trip to Yogurt Lab.  For me, it's 10 times practicing piano, and I get a Steak Dinner.

It's not for chores.  It's for creative endeavors.  Isaac wanted a task, and we suggested drawings, but he decided to integrate his dual loves of music and getting people to do things, his JUST DO IT is to get at least 1 other person engaged in a Family Music jam session.

We shall see how this works - but 10.  Ten.  X.  We should be able to make these goals.

My goal here is not to get 10, but to get 100.  I think we will set up tiered goals once we hit 10 - make 20 and up get more intense.  I'm figuring when I get to 100 on Piano, the Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12 will be released...  

And I'll have some time for it - I'm in a low-billing phase right now - I'm going to spent dime on sales and methodology build this week and next:  I'm sitting home while many in the company (and most of our customers) are out at a big trade conference...  So looking forward to some time for improvement.

No comments: