Thursday, November 03, 2005

Learning German

When we were going to Tokyo last spring, I took it on myself to do the 8 lesson Pimsleur "basic Japanese" course to get some basic words. I found that I was TRULY enjoying learning a new language with the aural method Pimsleur uses.

So this summer I decided to stop making up German sounding words, and actually learn some German. I got the 90-lesson full Pimsleur course from Audiofy on 3 DRM'ed SD cards that fit into my Treo Phone, and did a lesson every morning during my commute.

A few months later, and I'm on lesson 81. I can talk all SORTS of crazy German. I download German language Podcasts and try to understand them (yeah, not so well yet, but I'm getting better - the Hans Zimmer interview with Traumen Fur Deutschland is great).

Perhaps my best moment was at my rewedding being able to tell Kate Dowling, a woman with a Masters in German and family in Bavaria, that "me and my wife have been married for 10 years and we love it!" (Meine Frau und Ich sind zeit sein Jahren verhairatet, und es gefelt uns SEHR!) - she was stunned.

What's next? I'll be scheduling some conversation lessons with Kate, keep on with the daily podcasts, go to Germany next year.... but then it's off to another language. I'm still debating between hitting Japanese again and Spanish (which might actually be useful. But utility has no place in this decision).

Finally, what started me on this jag: today's lesson had a phrase that almost made me drive off the road: Shall we go to Castle Frankenstein?

(Wollen wir zum SchlossFrankenstein gehen?)

Jimmy OUT

No comments: