Friday, November 18, 2005

More on Language

So this week, I finally finished my Pimsleur German - all 90 lessons, and it was almost bittersweet - the last two lessons were focused around conversations of saying goodbye and thank you, and give our best to your family, and I couldn't help but believe it was my instructors saying goodbye.

So how to celebrate? RUN LOLA RUN. Beautiful Franke Potenta action, lots of German... And I'm proud to say that even though I did have the subtitles on, I also "heard" about half of the movie correctly... I'm going to rip it to Ipod video without subtitles and knowing the whole movie will be my trophy.

I started Spanish this week, mostly because Pamela speaks it, and wants me to have a language in common... but I know I'll be able to speak it with Ana our housekeeper and Carrie, my lovely sister... so I figure I'm just going to be one of those "can speak many languages" kind of guys.

I'm sticking with German, though - I downloaded Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire e-book in German, and am reading it out loud to myself... also I have a few books to keep learning the language. I'm sticking with the Podcasts too.... god bless DW-World.de with their free resources.

After Spanish, I'll do Japanese again... But the practicality of Spanish is finally sinking in...

Jimmy

No comments: