Sunday, January 22, 2006

Chicago and the Deep Sleep

As I type this, my daughter is asleep 8 feet away in a semi dark hotel room in Palatine Illinois. 20 min earlier, I was catching an allergy break back at the hotel (everybody we see in Chicagoland has a dog, cat or multiples thereof - I am always VERY allergic down here). Pamela and the in-laws were going to swing by to pick me up to go see Grandma B (not the Grandma K for whom we were here celebrating her 90th birthday)

Anyway, I got a call from Pamela - Bella had fallen asleep in the car - I could get a pass on this Grandma night if I took custody. I readily agreed and met the car as it pulled up.

The entryway is as far from our room as you can actually get in this hotel - at the opposite end of an L shape, and four floors up. I wrested the sleeping girl from her car seat, and carried her the entire way up, put her in bed, got her coat off, put pajama bottoms on, and tucked her in, without even a HINT of waking up.

I vaguely remember times when I was a little kid falling asleep in a car, or at a holiday party, and waking up in my own bed, and thinking that something truly magical had occurred... it made me feel safe and small and cared for. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to be on the other side of this mystery!

Rolling back a day: We did have that 90th birthday party for Grandma K, who was just thrilled about her gift of the iPhoto book. Pamela's brother Richard did a very nice iMovie to accompany it - nice songs and photos, with video greetings at the end from family who couldn't make it (and some extras from those who did... BELLA!). I was happy to help burn it to DVD, and my laptop pitched in when the DVD player conked out too!

In all, it's been a good trip, and I got to eat lots of evil Chicago food: Lou Mahnati's pizza (where the sausage is a complete LAYER of the pizza), Portillo's burgers, Beefs, Polish.... Mmmmmm!

No comments: