Monday, January 09, 2006

Hablo un pocito d'espanol

Today I am a man. I finished the first level of the Pimsleur Spanish lessons this morning - 30 lessons. I can now speak in three tenses and use two dozen verbs... and have the basic rhythm of the language flowing! On Saturday when our househelper Ana came by (Venga de El Salvador) we spoke in spanish (Hemos hablado juntos en espanol) and she was floored. We've agreed to speak for at least 5 minutes just in spanish when we see eachother (Accordamos hablar solamente en espanol para cinco minutos quando veremos).

Of course German remains a love too - I have come up with a "Strategy" for both German and Spanish: I will make a list of words and concepts that are relevant to my life. Music, synthesizer, computer, robot, synthpop, sausage, roast beef, pizza, daughter, laughter, satire, shoes, coffee, espresso, drumming, levitation, Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, the future. I'll focus my learning around these concepts... so I can be properly JIMMY should the need arise in any language. (Might as well collect the words in French and Japanese too - you never know.)

Going to see King Kong tomorrow night! To quote George Michael:

Why can't you do it?
Why can't you set that monkey free?
Always giving in to it...
do you love the monkey or do you love me?

2 comments:

Paul said...

¡Que bueno! Pero pienso que sabes mas de un poquito d'español...

Jimmy B said...

Hey my keyboard doesn't have those upside down things.

¡Muchas gracias Paolo! Creo que es verdad - se un pocito mas q'un poco d'español....