Sunday, December 09, 2007

Somewhat quiet?

Friday night, I went off to the annual holiday party for the company whose software I helped write with my dad back at the very start of my career. Even though I haven't worked with or for them for many many years, they keep me on the list as a participant... which is growing odder and odder as the company grows and the number of people who have no idea who I am far outnumber the ones who remember my history.

But this party wasn't about me... it was about Dad, who is finally deciding to "retire" from the business. He has been working there full time for almost 8 years, and it was 17 years ago that the software got started, when we both worked on it in our "spare time"...

So 3 years ago I came in to do some analysis work to help figure out what the next phase of software would look like and document the current system. All this year, Dad has been transitioning his knowledge. And come Jan 1, there will be no Reays there. So the Christmas party was partially a celebration of his service... There was a "roast" in there, but it didn't feel all that toasty... but there were some good heartfelt tributes in there too. The food and the band were fabulous too: If you're looking for a party band, I heartily recommend Belladiva - they were simply amazing. Really.

Pamela didn't come because she was battling a slight head cold... which she got either from Bella or Isaac both of whom are nursing colds... Bella's is a lot less severe, but Isaac has been wiped out for almost a week now (yes, we did take him to the doctor!) In spite of being under the weather, Isaac is still more than capable of causing household mayhem.

He has figured out that his signs (More!), and words (Baba! Banana! Bella! Dis!) will get us to jump up and DO THINGS, so he's more or less randomly pointing at things and rejecting them once they're in his hands. Total boy who cried wolf syndrome.

Bella has been at Grandma and Grandpa's house all weekend - she helped pick up and decorate the tree, and did some sledding, and I imagine a lot of arts and crafts... we said bye at 10am Saturday, and hi at 4pm Sunday! It was strangely quiet in the house (Isaac notwithstanding).

So we took advantage and read the paper, did Christmas cards, I finally wrote thank-yous for my birthday, I worked on my guitar chops for Rock Band...

Speaking of thank-yous - Apparently word got out that I like scotch, and it has become a very giftable item for me. The other night, Uncle Chicken went to my cabinet, and backed away, gasping "It's like Buckingham Palace!" So until a few more bottles are consumed (and I do have the boys coming over more often now), no more need arrive...

Finally, Pamela takes off Tuesday for her long awaited trip to Miraval... and I'm on daddy duty until Sunday! I'm looking forward to it. Fortunately, I'll have help - our super sitter will be around many days, and family and neighbors are more than interested in having Bella around! It'll be just a taste of what Pamela goes through all the time (and will go through more as I start to travel a little), I know, and I welcome the experience.

No comments: