Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Ah Food.

It's been a while since I waxed philosophical on food. Today is a food day.

I'm in Tacoma yet again (and will be biweekly for the next few months, just for a night at a time at least). This is my 4th or 5th visit and I'm getting to know the sights a bit, and had driven past a very home-y looking place a few times called "John's Hob-Nob". As I had been up since 5, caught a 7:30 flight, and reached the area by 10am local time, I was famished, and decided to try the Hob-Nob.

The walls were festooned with pictures of old ships, the wooden booths and formica counters spoke of a very different time - this is an old place. Must be still around either because it's good, or because it's convenient.

Fortunately it was good. VERY good. I had a classic Waffle, Eggs, and Bacon special with a side of Rye toast and coffee. Every single component of this breakfast was exceptional: The bacon was crispy, and somehow dissolved before it even hit the back of my throat. The eggs were un-greasy, the waffle was light and fluffy, and the toast had a lot of caraway flavor. There was not a crumb left on my plate, and I emerged SATISFIED.

Now, a few blocks away, there's been a place that has gripped my interest as well, and I had been planning to visit it, but having read an enthusiastically positive review of it, I have decided I do not need to visit it:

"Fingers are crossed for not only the liquor license, but the food permit that will allow Acme guests to chow on some fine eats. And by “fine eats” I’m talking about frozen Swanson dinners and Costco pizza. Hell yeah, that right there is some good drunk grubbin’."

Yeah, that's not really a place I'm at in life. We shall pass.

In Home News: The furnace has been replaced, and our home is habitable again. Thank you all for your concern.

Isaac has learned how to climb OUT of his crib now - Pamela had put him down and was in the basement cleaning when he walked into the room. She watched him pull himself up, swing a leg over, and gently lower himself with his wiry powerful arms. The kid is a maniac. We've put a gate on his room, but we suspect he'll just vault it like a hurdler.

He's also holding true to form by having an injury to his face: He tripped on the sidewalk yesterday and skinned his nose. He's like a little Rudolph. These things never seem to dampen his spirit, though we also suspect his molars are coming in - he's drooling like a basset hound/bull mastiff mix... I have to wear a tarp when we're wrassling.

Allright, I'm doing a 2 hour presentation tomorrow that is only 1/3 written, so I'd better blog off and get writing.

No comments: