Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Taping times three

Today I took a loooooong lunch break and snuck over to Time Out to teach BodyPump at 1:15. Yes, it was another attempt to tape my performance (the first attempt foiled by a malfunctioning camcorder, my second foiled by someone in frame doing something they shouldn't have been doing). So this was try three, and it went very well (I think.)

And I had a great audience, including Pamela! As we were talking over our schedules last night, we figured out that we were both planning on attending the same class, just with me on stage. She parked herself far off to the side so lurked in my peripheral vision more than I would have liked, but I guess for the taping I'd want to not be giggling and making googoo eyes at the participants.

A fun little goof up: Prior to the class, I met with Jeanne the club owner and she wanted to see some of my BodyAttack coaching. I ran through two tracks, and felt oddly spent: Everything felt off about the tracks and I chalked it up to nerves about Jeanne's watching - she's a total perfectionist. I was figuring I needed to hit the woodshed pretty hard in the coming days to improve...

By about the third track into Bodypump I finally figured out the problem, because it was affecting the class too: There is a speed control on the CD player, which lets you speed up or slow down the track significantly. Turns out the cd player was set to FASTER - at least 5-7% quicker, which is very noticeable. And with a high speed cardio workout already, pumping the speed up that much is frankly insane - which is why I was gasping for breath. In Pump, it didn't impact the tracks too much because the were slower to begin with, but I'm glad I caught it before the later techno tracks.

Regarding BodyAttack: The Perfectionist has decided that we need to dry run it full volume full microphone 20 times before we launch in front of others. I've done it 4 times so far and have improved each time. Even today's horrible superfast rehearsal was great because she literally didn't do any move I didn't announce, so I needed to cue way harder than I'm used to. I am excited to see how good I'll be at 20. Also, my body will have adapted and I'll be able to jump straight up clearing 6 feet, and will be able to hold my breath for seven minutes.

Tonight Pamela is out with her Vegas Buddies (the Free Range Mommies), so I put the kids to bed: They were plenty wound up. Bella insisted on Go Dog Go for HER book tonight... it really is a wonderful book. 30 min after lights out, I hear Isaac hollering "IT'S BROKEN". I come in to find him naked, having pulled off his jammies and he has busted the zipper. Also he has sucked on the footies, so it's a bit soggy too. That KID.

No comments: