Monday, January 12, 2009

Gilleys

Yep, we all giddyupped over to Gilley's last night. I suspect we were off in some "fake" corner of the real Gilley's where they let sales conference attendees play without scaring the regular folk... And where they only offered cheap watery beer instead of a full bar. Probably better off that way.

But there WAS the mechanical bull, and it sat in the middle of a moonwalk-like inflated floor, so I of course had to try it. As a fitness instructor, I didn't want to get hurt, otherwise my 6am people might be without a teacher. So did it safely: Early, while the operators were still possibly generous and not wanting to scare people away. Sober. And with the rule "only ride as long as it's fun." So with those three, I was on for at least 30 seconds, before I decided "this is no longer particularly fun" and I rolled off the saddle. And I'm not injured.

The rest of my team did the bull much later, and were more sore. And we saw a guy get flipped off pretty brutally, and he bit his tongue severely - which is why they have you sign the release... but the poor guy just looked pained.

There were some tables for Texas Hold'em, which I played for just a little while: There were no real stakes at play - you sit down, you get chips. You run out, they give you more. So people were playing pretty fast and loose. I went all-in with 3 tens and walked away a free man. I hate poker.

A little while later, one of the tables had completely died down and two dealers were just sitting there chatting. So I sat down and challenged them to a game of Go Fish. In the end, I tied with one of the dealers (10 pair each), and we all had a good time.

Finally, there was a pen with 4 armadillos in it - there were a couple of races through the evening, but for me it was just fun to watch them running around. They're impossibly cute animals and I spent maybe too much time just watching them running around playing.

Off to more sales sessions today. Wheeeeeee.

No comments: