Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Eh, work.

So of all the weeks to be in town, I decided to stick around for the week that the whole organization will be going through some major changes (which, until they happen, I will not commit career suicide by revealing) and it has everyone on edge, myself included. Not that I think my job is in immediate jeopardy, but I'm pretty sure some people who I see on a regular basis won't be around. Which is just AWKWARD. I've taken to having my door closed in my office, looking busy to avoid too many idle conversations. Ok, BEING busy.

Hopefully things will get resolved this week and we can move forward, better or worse, but out of limbo. Limbo is no fun. And you add that on top of the general economic malaise, and it's a mega funtime. So anyway, this has just been "on my mind" for a while and has dragged my mood down just a teensy bit.

Isaac, being both a mood reflector and a boy in the midst of massive brain development, has been a brittle terrible two, falling into sobbing fits at the drop of a hat. He's been taking too long to fall asleep, boycotting naps, and getting up early - the kid is a wreck. Bella is faring better, but exhibits classic older sibling tendencies of holding something away from Isaac for maybe 1 second longer than needed, leading to the collapse, and she just shrugs. Siblings - best of friends, worst of enemies.

Plus, destructor of technology has a new game: Hiding Netflix envelopes. We have no idea where our disk one of the Paul Giamatti IS John Adams is.

But it's not all bad: Bella and Isaac have a new play - she gives him piggyback rides, and he thinks it's the coolest thing in the universe: They both have such smiles on their faces! And I've loved putting them to bed AND being morning guy with them too... it's so worth it to be in town!

Also, we bought a kid's biography of Charles Darwin, and have been reading it to Bella: She loves the idea that he collected bugs and acorns. She's a little scientist in training, and I think she'll find a lot to identify with Charles. We'll be having a little 200th birthday party for him this Thursday. Pamela is Intelligently Designing the festivities. HAHA.

Fitness: Due to a problem with the tape, I have to re-tape my BodyPump assessment for the THIRD TIME tomorrow. Of course we're two months into the next release, but I have to tape the release I was trained on, so I rehearsed today in an empty studio, loudly coaching and encouraging my non-existent worker-outers. I think their form was very good today. On Sunday I'll be taping for Body Attack.

Monday during BodyAttack, I had a quite pregnant lady in class. BodyAttack is a very jumping/running based class, but there are a whole set of parallel alternate movements that are more marching/stepping. So I made sure she was doing the parallel, and she got a great workout, and it forced me out of my usual routine as well. As my fitness level has increased doing this class, I can teach the full hour at 110% while coaching, and it's important to remember the class isn't all at that level, and actually could get HURT if they try.

Fun coming up for V-Day: Pamela's mom is flying up for 4 days: Papa is off to a trade show over V-Day (the NERVE), and we already agreed to watch Jenny so that Randy and Jemae can have a romantic evening of Valentines, so we figured we'd invite Bam up to join the fun. And I'm thrilled - Isaac is Bama's boy, and I'll have some serious competition!

Don't worry about Pamela and me: We had that great escape to the Graves601 in Jan, and will have many more escapes in the months to come. If we can share our lives to bring happiness to others (Jemae, Bam) on that romantic day, that makes all the difference.

In geekiness: Both Fringe and Heroes have started back up and I'm in geek heaven. Both are completely delivering. Terminator starts next week. Then we have the Watchmen movie, the Terminator movie... it's all going to be amazing. It is a good time to be a nerd. But I do NOT watch Battlestar. I'll start them up maybe this summer during my travels (I can usually get 3-4 shows a trip - saves on pay-per-view for sure!)

In other geekiness, no I'm not buying a new Kindle - my new/old one works just fine. But the new model offers a lot to the newbie, so if you were ever on the fence for a kindle, just go for it. And I'm finally getting into reading the Neal Stephenson Anathem novel. I started it months ago, but it was a bit thick. Much like the System of the World trilogy, which I quit after 200 pages, only to love it a few years later. I had read 150 pages of Anathem months ago, and picked it back up, restarted it from the beginning, and it was instantly more compelling. Perhaps the Black Jack Geary pulps have worn me down and I was ready for something... thought out... and readable.

Well that's my polygeeky update. Go to Hulu.com and search for "I'm on a boat" for maybe the best laugh I've had in a week. It's amazing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw "Im on a boat" Saturday night - got home in time to see it. It's featured on the new DVD along with some of the other ones we've loved (Natalie Portman, Justin Timberlake and the horridly brilliant "In My Pants"). The "Boat" just was side-splittingly funny.

Thank you for the update. So glad you have some time to be at home for a while. And I hope work will be humane and decent.

I heard from a long time friend who was just let go from my former workplace. Let's just say that in mid January there was no money coming in and there was $30,000 in the bank, total. That's 2 pay periods max. But the company never borrowed - ever - so they are very different. Still, tough times. My friend was let go.

Peace.