Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Phill-ay

First, an awesome quote from Bella on Monday. While helping Isaac paint, she said:
""Don't stretch your imagination too far. Otherwise you'll never come home."

No idea where that one came from.

I'm in Philadelphia, which is not quite as nice and fun in the cold, so I've been in the room doing work most of the day. Of course I made my pilgrimage to the Reading Market, and had a Sausage and Pepper sandwich (what, no cheezsteak? Eh, I'm not the biggest fan of those... Once a man has has a proper Italian Beef or Combo, the subtle flavors of a Philly Cheesesteak simply cannot compare)

On the flight today finally finished Anathem: A thriller based in quantum mechanics? Amazing. It really did take its time to get started, but as it took off, all of the laborious backstory was rewarded in spades. And it went places I simply could not have imagined. I love being pulled in a thoroughly unexpected direction.

Tried to watch the movie "Pineapple Express" tonigh - I'm pretty sure the movie would work if you were as stoned as the protagonists, but that is not where I am in life, so after 45 minutes I decided no further investment was warranted. Yes, there were some giggles. I concede. But not nearly enough to keep me going. Instead I watched the pilot of the new action thriller "Dollhouse" by Joss Whedon. A very creepy yet fun show with echoes to Alias and any other number of "who am I now and why am I shooting at this guy" amnesia plots... held together with a larger menacing story arc and very good acting. This one's getting added to the list provisionally (with Heroes and Fringe).

Allright, it's late out here and I have a day of meetings tomorrow, so this short update is OVAH.

No comments: