Thursday, May 28, 2009

Jersey

First week of the interim gig - and while I did fly into Philly, My trip took me 15 miles due east to the wonders of South Jersey. Here's what I gotta say:

1) So far, there are a LOT of people who do in fact talk like and look like The Sopranos. I was in a hoagie place today, while a total Bobby Bacala got into an argument with one of the sandwich guys about the health merits of sushi - "it's got oils that is good for your heart, which is very important when you're a fat guy like ME!!!" "eh - only way youse supposed to eat fish is if it's COOKED. Can't COOKED fish be good for your heart too?" Large man gives a dismissive wave and walks out with a large turkey hoagie.

2) The work I'm expected to do in the next 6 weeks is pretty fun, but it's sort of like lying on your back looking up at the sky on a cloudless night. Your eyes see the stars. And then as they adjust, you realize there are a whole LOT more stars behind those bright ones that you were looking at. And then you notice that milky band of the galaxy. The scope appears to be exploding, but then I'm also seeing areas where I can identify it, contain it, and carve it off. And I just need to remind myself - my job is to actually figure out the size of the project, then recommend how to get it done, not actually DO it.

Because by then, I'll be safely in Philly.

3) I picked a hotel that I'm alternately liking and hating. It's not quiet, it smells a bit damp, and it's located off of a breakneck turnoff of a highway, and to get anywhere I need to merge into fast traffic and make a U-Turn. BUT, instead of a tiny workout room, there's a full health club across the street which is pretty nice. Next week I'm trying a different place...

Oh, and the internet connection is terrible at this hotel. Which is why I can't iChat with my family here.

4) iChat is wonderful and will be the key to sanity as I travel: I've enjoyed checking in with the brood every day from the workplace. I can't wait to see them tomorrow!

I forgot my power cord at the client site, so I've only got a little juice left - so no more big updates... but I'll try to update at least every other day from the road going forward. Keep the lifeline going!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a fine description of the problem - depth perception. Don't forget Bella's words of wisdom: don't stretch that imagination too far or you won't come home. Or back down to earth with the plan for the people. All is well here and little Magnus has gained 6 oz in 3 days time - so herself is feeling spectacular about this.

Loved the Sopranos fish oil scene.

Thank you.