Thursday, January 28, 2010

The big question...

I'll just answer it: I love the iPad, and I haven't even seen one yet (because they're 60 days from release).

Again, Apple has created their own category: It's not a phone, it's not a laptop. It does more AND less than both, but those things it does, it does beautifully. It is gorgeous to look at, and all reports are that it is a pleasure to use. I note that just like the iPod and iPhone, those viewing from a distance are writing about what it can't do and how this is a disappointment. But those who get to spend a few minutes with it (at the show) are amazed: You can't really SHOW a perfectly responsive user experience. I think that once people actually get them in their hands, we'll have a better idea.

But as of right now, there's no question I want one.

It's EARLY: I was up at 4am ET to catch this flight, and we're boarding in a few minutes... I am hoping to catch a little shut-eye. I'm off to Philly for a company meeting, and will be sprinting out to Jersey for an hour meeting along the way. So it'll be a busy busy day.

I've mentioned that the client site in Cleveland is in a depressed neighborhood: Yesterday my co-worker and I decided to venture out and see if there's food in the neighborhood. We found an italian deli - a huge old building with three older people working it... and we stood there for a few minutes while they eyed us from back in the kitchen, assessing whether they should deign to come forward and see what we want. By the end of the visit the lady was chatting us up a bit, asking us if we were employees, or "on assignment". We decided that "on assignment" is a great way to refer to consulting.

She asked Jeff where he was from, and had to clarify Madison WI, not Madison OH. For me, she said "Minneapolis.... it's cold there, right? Or is that Minnesota that's cold....? Don't you have that big mall too? Is that in Minnesota? Or is it in Minneapolis - I can't keep them straight".

Allright, time to board the plane.

No comments: