Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Synthpop

2 Media things today, then some family.

1) Wow, synthpop is really coming back. I just found out about LaRoux today, a mouthy 21 year old androgyne who works with a reclusive older synth geek (who doesn't appear in public) to create amazing 1983-vintage songs with melodies, verses, choruses... chord progressions! Crunchy bleepy synths that sound right from the era. Sounds like early Yazz and Erasure - Vince Clarke must be proud. I'm so happy. This is much better than the spate of "electro" bands 5 years back where they used bleeps a bit, but forgot about the music. I also discovered Parralox, who do the retrovintage thing, only imagining what if the girl from Berlin sang for the Pet Shop Boys - Everything is very accurate for the 1984/1985 sound, and it's wonderful.

2) Ok, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang has haunted me a little: I can't recommend it to anyone, but it's so full of clever bits that I WANT to share it, if only I could x out some of the more dark parts- the gratuitous nudity and the disturbing incest subplot... but Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr were just so great.

Not media: Isaac has had a tough couple of days - lots of tantrums. A house is getting knocked down 2 doors down, and he started screaming with fear that they were going to keep coming up the block and start on our house next. It was very very disturbing to him. But with all of his toughness, he's also accepting a lot more cuddles, if you're willing to work with him on it. He's cuddling for naps. He's collapsing into hugs during wrestling sessions... but he's not walking up to you with his arms out.

Bella left 3 pages of math homework to do all tonight (she had a week), so I put my foot down, and she got it done, but not without some serious eye rolling. We enjoyed some cocoa while doing it. I also visited her at school today, bringing a burrito for lunch. I sat at her table and made small talk with the gang of 1st grade boys she sits with. She was wearing a black adidas track suit and had pigtails, and was elbowing her buddy Cooper a lot. It was very cute.

In all, it was a good day. I got a lot done for both clients, AND some good family time too. Pamela collapsed with a migraine in the early afternoon and Isaac took a nap, so it was a quiet place for me to work this afternoon. Looking forward to another good work day tomorrow.

No comments: