Thursday, July 08, 2010

Karaoke Dream

I had a dream last night of the standard "not prepared for something" variety, but the details were pretty good.

I was at a rustic lodge (Ruttger's in name, but actually closer to a Y Camp I went to as a kid), and was led by a friend to a stage in the middle of the room: Could I run the Karaoke night for everybody? I'm techie, right? Sure, no problem I said.

The moment I step on stage, people are cheering, excited to get started with Karaoke night! I grab a mic and say "we'll get under way in just a minute". I survey the stage:

Speakers are set up. Mic is available. But the Karaoke unit is on a rolling cart next to the stage and isn't plugged in. I start looking at it and realize on my gosh, it's based on un labeled cassette tapes? And there's no master list? We're just supposed to put in a tape and go? I look around the back and find that the tape unit isn't even plugged into the master unit.

But around back, I find a shoebox filled with CDs - AH, this must be it. But these CDs aren't labeled either... and all of the songs are written on a roll of cash register tape in faded pencil. In cursive. I'm scrolling through this list, and the song names aren't legible, and the very act of reading it is smudging them further. I turn around, and the room is full of annoyed people who just want to Karaoke DAMN IT.

I was very happy to have the alarm go off and spare me further.

No comments: