Monday, March 05, 2007

Flash Daydream

Sometimes at work, if I'm a little tired, I have extremely sudden and strange daydreams based very loosely on what people are talking about, and I usually have to stop myself before I add a comment to the discussion that makes perfect sense based on the daydream.

These are literally "flash daydreams" because they start and stop in a matter of seconds, but the detail and "backstory" created has a scary amount of detail.

I'm taking a moment out of work to document one such instance for you.

In a conference call today, we were talking about the status of a request: The request is to add a check mark to a screen to indicate whether a report has been printed yet by an end-user. It's for surgery, so they know if the supply room is already assembling the surgery tray.

In my dream: I am high up in a skyscraper with floor to ceiling windows, overlooking a futuristic cityscape, with lots of buildings that look like bulbs on the end of long stems - totally Jetsons. I'm wearing a silver unitard with short sleeves, and I'm standing on one leg doing a quad stretch. I have a phone headset on (I'm on the conference call), and am viewing a screen that is hovering over a desk.

"This check mark will certainly come in handy while tracking where one is during a workout" I think.

Fortunately I did not actually come out of my mouth. And I was right back to the meeting... no one was any the wiser that I was temporarily IN THE FUTURE.

I will be very happy once Isaac starts sleeping through the night I imagine. This is getting weird.

No comments: