Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Moving on....

I'm glad that this site has helped people remember Mark... he was a good man, and we are all missing him. That said, I need to "warn" people that this blog typically examines my normal geeky life, and so the tone will likely change back to my own ruminations about life... I hope people don't mind.

Here we go.

Last night I started reading a memory training book by Harry Lorrayne. It gives you memory tips of a few different types, creating links between items to help remember a list, and creating absurd "sounds like" tips for remembering words. One exercise is to remember the 50 states in alphabetical order... something I've never been able to do. Now after just one evening, I can do it front to back. How? I made up a story:

I was looking through a photo album (alabama) and wondered who one of the people was, so I had to ask (alaska), when the album rose up (arizona) in a tornado (arkansas). I had to call a forensic scientist (california) who colored (colorado) in the dots he had to connect (connecticut). He stood and said "I declare!" (delaware) when he saw an alligator (florida) chasing George Washington (georgia), who paused to say "Hi" (hawaii) to a hooker (Idaho) who got sick (illinois) on an indian (indiana) who was holding an IOU (Iowa) he was going to give to Dorothy (Kansas) for some (Kentucky) Whiskey she bought in New Orleans (Louisiana). Drunkenly, he shouted "Remember the Maine!", and the Virgin Mary (maryland) appeared in church mass (massachusetts). Freaked out he jumped into his american car (michigan), drove through Minnesota, across the Mississippi, and nearly missed my eye (missouri) as he pointed out the mountains (montana). On the radio was bruce springsteen (nebraska) singing about one-armed bandits (nevada) whch had presidential candidates (new hampshire) and Tony Soprano (New jersey) instead of fruits in the windows...

Suddenly a ufo flew overhead (New Mexico) driven by the Statue of Liberty (New York) who shouted GO NORTH and find Caroline! (North carolina), and our friend's dog Dakota barked (North Dakota). We got to starbucks filled with Japanese people shouting "Ohio Gozarimas!", and on the TV was Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, where Ruprecht shouted "Oklahoma!!!". Then Ruprecht turned to a computer and played Oregon Trail, but the wagon train turned into a real train leaving from Penn Station (Pennsylvania), but it couldn't reach the Island (rhode island), so we had to take the UFO, and the statue yelled "GO SOUTH and find CAROLINE!" (south carolina), and Dakota barked again (south dakota).

A truck rolled by that said "Follow me to Tennessee, dolly dolly dolly", and it was as big as Texas. It was driven by a mormon with 8 wives (Utah) and filled with Maple syrup (Vermont). One of the wives was still a virgin (Virginia), and that lecherous George Washington showed up again and chased that virgin west (west virginia) across Wisconsin to Wyoming.

OK - that's just crazy, and what's important is that each idea links to the next... and you don't need to say the story, just have a quick image, and it brings up the linkage. And of course, there are tons of personal references (the dolly dolly dolly was a toy truck my dad got from a transportation client in the 1980s, for example) And it WORKS.

I'm pretty excited to see how this develops. I did start using a similar technique to remember some harder Russian words last week: I couldn't remember "From Here", and built up "I bought my Matsuda sunglasses here" - "atsuda". Others are easier - "prichitat" is to read - and I read Terry Pratchett, so that association was automatic.

Ok - that's my geek update for the day. Welcome back to JimVentions.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dearest Jim, I applaud you for working on the memory thing - I've long since given up!

I just wanted to say one last thing as you move on. You are an incredible man. You touch the lives of those who know you in ways that bring joy and love. I am so thankful and blessed to be one of those lucky ones.
Thank you!
TJ

Jimmy B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jimmy B said...

Oh, and thank you so much for the kind comment!

Jimmy B said...

Thank you Tina! It took me a little to remember who TJ was, but I had a flash of recognition this morning... you're awfully sweet.

Unknown said...

[o.k., i'm going to pretend it did not take this long for it to sink in that uncle.ant could leave a comment. and i'm also going to pretend i did not post that fact for all to read. if you think ignorance is bliss, you probably haven't tried denial.]

i memorized all the states in grade school, when we were forced to learn (and perform for parents) the godawful "fifty nifty united states" song. i just did a quick Google search, and it turns out that may have been a Ray Charles track...? (that was unexpected...)

anyway, that song haunts me to this day. "Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas..."

for those who wish to be tortured (or re-tortured) by the song, i found a legit copy online, courtesy of the Grand Land Singers...

http://www.wyler.net/gls/mp3/GLS-Track%2005.mp3

and while you're at it, get a load of the Grand Land Singers themselves. i wonder if they're patriotic at all...? sheesh...

http://www.wyler.net/gls/gls_1.html

Jimmy B said...

OK you nut uncle Ant. Pamela also learned that Fifty Nifty song, and it always made me jealous she could sing the 50 states, while I could not.

So that's part of why I did this.

NOW, I just need to apply this to do the state capitols!!!