Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Quite the Vigil

Some of Mark's friends and neighbors decided that the senselessness of his passing demanded a vigil of sorts - something so that the community can register their support and outrage at what happened. Catherine, a very organized person, decided to get the ball rolling, and came up with the general idea: Walk from near Mark's house, across the freeway, to the spot he died, and have a candlelight vigil.

Catherine asked if I could help, but in the middle of everything, I felt as though the organization wasn't something I could take on. So she turned to the neighborhood watch, and the city council, and the media... In truth, she got the ball started, and then it took on its own velocity, well beyond Catherine's designing... but she deserves all of the credit for pulling it together.

As we approached the park today, we were overwhelmed - a full city block full of people ready to show support. As we started walking, the procession was at least 4 full city blocks of people walking right down the street... I'm guessing a thousand people participated, but I'm a lousy estimator. Could have been 500. Could have been 750. It was well over a dozen, I tell you.

At the yard where Mark was found, people piled flowers, and someone had set up lawn chairs for the family to sit on. Samantha was still not ready to emerge, but Chloe, Annabel, and most of the extended family were all there... and as the sun set, we all stood with candles. Well, many did. I was chasing Isaac through some yards for a while. Bella helped out by chasing him like a border collie. She was such a trouper...

The family was still not ready to talk to the press, so the family asked me to speak to the press for them. I was plopped in front of some TV cameras and asked some questions:

Why do I think so many people came out? Some came because they're angry at the senselessness of this crime and want to show that they won't take it. Many more came because they knew and loved Mark - so many of his friends and colleagues.

Do I think it's important that they catch who did this? If they had asked a week ago, I would have said no because I all I cared about was the loss of my friend. But today, I don't have a thirst for vengeance, but I want whoever did this to know how much he has hurt all of us, and I want him to be accountable.

We'll see how I come across...

Unfortunately while being interviewed, I missed the councilmembers and the mayor's speeches from a half block up (the speaker truck couldn't make it up the street, so they stayed at the end of the block). Actually, that was ok: I preferred to be in that yard, with that simple memorial, with the family.

On my way back to the car, I stopped into the house, and gave Samantha a big hug: Max was engrossed in a zombie game, Annabel had a friend over, Chloe had run out with some pals, and Eve was asleep... Life almost looked normal for a moment.

And in a few days when things start getting even quieter... that's when it's going to get unbearable for them. And we're going to have to make an extra effort to be there for them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim,

Thank you for sharing your stories about Mark. He was a great guy and I wish I had gotten to know him better.

BTW: A link to your site was posted here: http://forums.e-democracy.org/groups/mpls/messages/topic/4Zx4WRLRTwmwOpTJDfXN9S

Kris B.

loribal said...

Jim,

I worked with you and Mark back in the VRx days. You guys were always cracking us up about something. Mark will be truly missed. He was such a light hearted guy. My heart aches for you and Mark's family and friends. Please know that people are praying for all of you. Thanks for putting together this blog. It seems therapeutic to write about some of your best memories of Mark.

Lori Balestri (Haug)

Toddnary said...

Jim, thank you for your vivid decription of Mark's personality, and sense of humor. I haven't seen Mark in nearly 25 years. Then I stumbled across your words 2 days ago, just after the first time I'd caught his name in the news. It not only confirmed what I had just read in the news,( I had been hoping it wasn't the same Mark I grew up with, in the junior high years) but brought back all sorts of memories. I also want to thank you for posting a few pics, to recognize him, as he wasn't in the HHS yearbook. I think he graduated early...
I can remember some of his running gags, you spoke of, even back when we must have been 14 or 15, the robotic impersonation, the wandering down aisle's, down, around, back over, maybe hide..?? Vivid. Many times I nearly peed my pants with that guy. Somebody said something about the goose stepping fingers, I would love to say to Mark, "So, I see your still using alot of the same material!"
Mark was the funniest person, I have ever known. I'm glad to know that he continued to enjoy life, in such a way that makes the people around him enjoy it even more! Remember telling him to be a comedian, sounds like he still was!
Ok, sorry to ramble, still kinda shocked.
Todd U

Anonymous said...

jim,
is there a way to generate some money for the Loesch family? If you can take a fun drawing and maybe a funny phrase that Mark said you could put it on a coffee cup or book bag..and offer it up at CAFE Press...I have bought several items where the money went to a good cause and they are really well made. take a look at them.

in the meantime, can I make a donation cyberally somewhere. I know Mark's wife from MDC

Tracy

LMaddy said...

Jim,
I worked with Mark at SBG on a local HIPPA project, and knew you from the office. I read the news today of Mark's death, and I have been thinking about him all day. He was a friend to me.

I loved working with Mark - he was such a great person, and you have written so well of Mark's humor, his kindnesses to friends and colleagues, his generosity of spirit, and his dedication to his family. Thanks. Your stories help us remember him.

- Laura

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know that the neighborhood where Mark was found is a caring community of families that was devastated that this happened on their block. Despite our best efforts to stay tuned into all details going on outside our windows (it has been a very active summer) the fact that this occured without any of us hearing was really upsetting. We are in active touch with the police department, talk to each other and call 911 regularilly. My daughter, a college student sat in the living room doing her homework with the windows until midnight and heard nothing. When we realized there were no reward posters for Mark, our block club created them and posted them throughout the community. We hope that the posters somehow allowed the police to obtain cooberating evidence over the past few weeks that led to the arrest of the suspect. We hope Mark's family knows that no-one in the 3700 block of Elliot would sit idly by and allow this to happen without taking action. He sounds like a wonderful husband, father and friend, and our hearts go out to him and his family.