Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Media Notes

I'm in a media consuming mode right now - I've been listening to a lot of music, and trying to catch up on films.

1) Iron Man was completely fantastic. I loved everything about that movie. It was a pitch-perfect superhero film, and really captured the Tony Stark paradox - the rich jerk who wants to do good for the world... with an awesome toy. I cannot recommend this movie enough. IT ROCKS. And stay to the very end for a total fanboy cameo...

2) M83 has made an incredible album called "Saturdays = Youth". This album is a masterful blend of 1982-1984 shoegazer pop - at times sounding like Cocteau Twins, Echo and the Bunnymen, Thompson Twins, and a hundred others. It's not synthpop, it's not dancey, but it's truly a distillate of that particular era. As I listened to it for the first time, I had a full body hallucination/transportation: I literally was back in my room on Oakland Avenue, sitting in my hanging chair, hearing this music on vinyl. I can't recommend it enough... TO MY PEERS OF THAT ERA. I really have no idea if this album would work or resonate with anyone who wasn't in that space at that time. Strange.

3) www.hulu.com is my new love affair: They have full 30 Rock episodes, and individual skits from Saturday Night Live, at high resolution. Just go look at this skit about GOOGLY EYES ON PLANTS. Then keep surfing around!

And that's my media update.

No comments: