Thursday, May 29, 2008

Mark's Memorial

On Memorial Day, we ventured to Lakewood to remember our Alexander, Paul Wellstone, and Mark Loesch. As we laid down flowers for these three, I thought about how all three were linked in that the were taken from us far far too early, but that they had left us with good memories.

There's a fundraiser for Mark's Memorial fund happening next week, and one of the things they put up was the full text from Mark's best friend Joe's eulogy. I had heard this through tears back in September, but had not had a chance to read the text. I'm grateful for them for posting it, and I'm happy to link to it here: Mark's Eulogy

For me, perhaps one of the most poetic ways to sum up Mark was Joe's closing:

"I can’t really find the best way to express what it was like to be with Mark, but it kind of reminds me of the interplay that I’ve seen between jazz musicians. Two of them will be trading solos, going back and forth, having a blast. One of them will play a riff and the other will play the same thing, but a little different. Then they’ll look at each other across the stage and share a knowing, joy-filled smile.

That’s kind of how I felt whenever I was with Mark."

Joe got it exactly right. No other deep thoughts here - Joe said it all so well, I just wanted to share the link.

No comments: