Sunday, July 06, 2008

Holy Smokes

We have made it through quite the long weekend, people.

Friday the 4th, we got up good and early and Pamela went with a few other Moms to stake out primo seats for the Edina 4th of July parade. Us dads ambled up an hour later with the kids in tow (in my case, literally in tow: I dusted off the bike and hooked up the Burley). The 2 hr parade was a blast as usual, though I suspect some padding (there were a LOT of restored military vehicles in there, stinking things up with their manly exhausts). The marching bands all graced us with a "stop" in front of our seats to Isaac's delight. He also loved the NEIGHS, all the drummers, and the larger vehicles. He was no fan of the clowns (is anyone a fan of the clowns? Really?)

During the Parade, I found myself wanting some future technology: As the rafts of jeeps went by with aged veterans, I wished for a floating information balloon for each: A name and identity, which war, perhaps a link to a story or two. As it was, it was several dozen old men (and a few old ladies) without context... and I wanted more!

Friday evening the neighbors had an open BBQ, starting at 4. Two dozen kids and the same number of adults enjoying grilled food, crunchy snacks, and beer sweet beer. Knowing that there are some Scotch neophytes on the block, I brought a bottle of Strathisla 12 to share (a mild speyside with some great apricot tones). I had to leave around 8 to put Issac down, but when I retrieved the bottle Saturday AM, I found that it had been QUITE WELL ENJOYED. Apparently my name had been taken in vain a few times on Saturday AM by headache wielding adventurers. NOT MY FAULT, people.

We decided it was just too late for Bella to see fireworks, so we made do with one of the neighborhood dads lighting off a "Target Pack" of ground fireworks. Bella loved them, and slept well.

Saturday was another "play all day" affair for Bella, while Pamela worked furiously to get things ready for Mae's birthday in the evening: Yes, another all-neighborhood BBQ party. In the middle of the day, I decided to do the Bodystep routine in the backyard again: It was a hot and not very windy day, but I made it through alive.

The party was fun: The kid mob was even BIGGER this time, and while I did get Isaac down at a reasonable time, Pamela dragged Bella in AFTER 10 so we knew that Sunday would be quite the day.

Today we started late and slow, and didn't really get moving until much later in the day. There were a lot of shows watched (Tubbies, BooBah, Calliou, and other "mellow events"), and we all took naps at various points in the day. Then it was off to Grandma and Grandpa's for Steaks and a kiddie pool, where Bella and Isaac blew off what little steam they had left from the weekend... Carrie and Scott were there too, and it was great to get caught up on everyone's doings.

Despite the pure exhaustion, bedtime for the kiddies was a bit of a chore: Bella's mind wouldn't turn off until after 9, and Isaac got himself so overwrought that he up and puked. But all is finally quiet in the house and Pamela and I are catching up on the world.

The week coming up will be long: I'll be in Montana, but then a quick trip to Denver where I'll get to see my maternal Grandparents, who I haven't seen for over 3 years I think? But Pamela will be solo for 4 nights, so I'll be sending her positive vibes and will come back with hugs and foot massages for her.

No comments: