Wednesday, July 02, 2008

A line is crossed

I have made my first Ebay Scotch purchase. My favorite distillery has been coming out with some limited edition bottlings that are simply not coming across the pond, and it's worked me up into such a frenzy that I was considering a daring weekend flight into and out of Edinburgh just to acquire them. Fortunately a kind soul had the bottles on the EBay for a not entirely outrageous price, and it was a lot cheaper than the flight. So they should arrive in a few weeks and we'll just see how this experiment goes. Chicken and Ant will flip their lids.

But having spent British Pounds on this hobby now, it seems undeniable that a line of some sort has been crossed, and that there is a new world of bottles available if only I can stand the exchange rate and Royal Mail.

In the opposite spectrum of health maintenance, it's time for the new releases of Bodypump and Bodystep, and time for me to start memorizing new moves. Pump fired up this week, and Step will be the week after next (which is good, since I'll be traveling next week!). Every time there's a new release, it totally busts my chops, since you grow to realize how much muscle memory you rely on - just changing a few moves can really throw off your muscles and you start to "feel" it all again. The new release has the Moby "Bourne Identity end credits" theme for the Abs: Great song makes up for a completely unreasonable move which I can't even describe here ("side plank with curl under" would be the technical term I think).

Poor little Isaac has had a rough couple of days: The construction across the street has been revving up at naptime, and yesterday there was a dumpster delivered, filled, and retrieved, and the poor kid only got a half hour in before waking up screaming from the noise. And he spent the day throwing things and yelling, before passing out with half of his usual dinner bottle, which led to THREE wake-ups in the night (up from ZERO for the past week!). So Pamela has set up a nap-zone in our sitting room, which seemed to work, though having got it all arranged, the workers decided to take the day off.

Finally, I spent the last 2 days in "strategic meetings" with the new company, and am perhaps a little frustrated that my total numbers are around the same as my first month - I'm not growing very fast... but we figured out I'm actually in the BEST position of the whole team, because I have 4 clients who are preparing for implementations (which is a wide open, multi-year opportunity), while everyone else is in mid to end-of-project state with their clients... so there's a very real possibility that by this time next year, I'll have the most business. So I just need to adjust my sights and set patience level to maximum...

With that, I'm REALLY off to Billings MT next week, and then to Denver for meetings. Happily I'll get a little time in there to visit with the Grandparents... which will be wonderful. I'll have stories. And no, I won't have time for fly fishing in Billings. Sorry.

No comments: