Thursday, March 25, 2010

A media update

1) Yes, I do love me some Caprica. I'm on Episode 5 now - just three to go to get caught up. Future Soap Opera with robots, virtual worlds, monotheistic terrorists... and I think I mentioned the robots?

2) After a long week, I decided to play hooky for an evening and watch Inglourious Basterds. LOVED IT. I think it may have strayed from the historical record a little bit... ;-> But it was a rip roaring yarn, and as a language junkie, it was a pure delight to have more than half of the dialogue in the movie be in German, French, or Italian. Loved Brad Pitt 100%, especially his fluency in Italian at the end... and I must say that guy fully deserved the Oscar for his role as the Hunter. He was completely compelling in every scene - he had a way of thoroughly transfixing your attention - he made me in the audience feel exactly how he made his "conversation partners" in the movie feel - it was an incredible performance. Plus, the grotto cafe scene, in which accents and hand gestures gave up the game was an amazing turn on the whole "secret agent" conceit of war movies....

Yes, it was gorey, and a bit long, but boy, what a movie.

3) In other media - I just have to give up on Tim and Eric Awesome Show. It is Andy Kaufman-esque in its anti-comedy. There were shows in years past that had me almost peeing from laughter, but the first four episodes this year have not just been unfunny, but got me sort of mad. It's only 12 minutes, but I feel like it was 12 WASTED minutes. Sigh.

Ok. That's the media update.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I am so glad my little language addict saw that inglourious movie. Pitt really was something - but then they all did such a fine job. Even Mike Myers' little cameo was good. But, if you see it again, the structure that the music provided was something that was so very well done - starting with the opening bars of Fur Elise which morphed into the spaghetti western strum. That entire act in the spy meet-up - from the games to the carnage - over the top good. You've made me want to rent it. I left my copy with Scott.

Unknown said...

Oh, and Hans Lander is now on a par with Hans Gruber in my book of favorite bad guys. I know what you mean about Waltz being able to put you into that place where you are mesmerized. He was a cobra.