Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Christmas Miracles Continue

Earlier in the week, I was talking to Ty's mom. (Ty and Bailey being the 15 year old twins who I've known since they were 3 months old... You've read about them before). Apparently Ty has been pining for a Nintendo Wii - the new game console that uses a really cool gesture controller, so when you play tennis, you're actually moving your arm and the racket on the screen matches...

Along with the Playstation 3, the Wii has been one of THE hot items this year, with them going for hundreds of dollars over retail on Ebay, and impossible to find. Ty had been asking relatives for money or gift cards for xmas to help fund a Wii... if only he could find one.

Today I went to Target with Bella and Isaac - my goal was to get more Mylocon anti gas drops for Isaac, who has had some gut troubles these past few days (poor guy). Long story short, they had a few Wiis left. They had got 18 in that morning, and were down to the last 6 by 10am. I got the 3rd to last one. I just had to get it - I figured if Ty already had found one, I could return it, or check with another family... But if he didn't... how cool would THAT be? When fate gives you a door, you need to go through it.

I called them up... and after a little phone tag, I got to tell Ty that he got a Wii. He almost dropped the phone, he was delirious with excitement.

So this evening Bella and I ran over to their house. Ty and dad Rick and run out to the store to get a second controller (unsuccessfully), and when he came home, I gotta give him credit - he did look me in the eye and say hello before he lunged at the box. So we wasted no time and raced upstairs to set up the Wii, and Ty paid me in cash and gift cards. It shipped with sports games, so we got started. I bowled a spare in the bowling game and left them early to an evening of fun. Fortunately I get to visit for the whole evening tomorrow night, so I'll have another chance to play with this.

It was just such a crazy coincidence to be at the right place at the right time, and to be able to help make someone's Christmas even that much more excellent...

Add to this, my Allergies are staying in check - I've had a few more sniffles today - I figure the histamines are breaking down the barricades, but it's being kept well in check by Sudafed (the real stuff, not that horrible PE formulation that does NOTHING. Look, I'm sorry that Meth is out there and that people are having problems, but please do not make the one drug that works for my allergies illegal because people are using it for that purpose. I'm glad to show my license, sign a voucher, whatever, but keep it on the market. PLEASE).

Whoah, that was a tangent. Anyway, the trip continues to be wonderful.

I should mention that my Chicago food "around the world" was almost made complete today: Having had an Italian Combo and a Gyros plate on Saturday, a Portillo's Burger and Maxwell Polish yesterday, I was only missing a Chicago Dog and some Lou Manatti's pizza. I snuck out to get the dog tonight (don't tell anyone), but the Pizza will likely go undone.

Oh man, I will need to hit the gym when I get back. This is craziness.

No comments: