Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Heckuva Weekend!

With four grownups and five kids under 5, the Balamo was a packed house indeed this weekend. It was of course for the 6th annual posthumous birthday party for my dear Grandmother, held at the Lexington in St Paul. The meal was great as always, as was the selection of scotch (started with a little Highland Park, ended with a little Talisker).

There was a LOT of good laughter, much of it this year courtesy of sister Carrie's attempt to sing "Little Jeannie" by Elton John. There is video, and there will be blackmail.

On Sunday, a few of us went off to Hub Hobby, which has been cleaned up pretty well in the past year - and it was kid and dad heaven. Bella came home with many small plastic animals, and a sack of agates that she spent a loooong time selecting.

Yesterday was back to work: I skipped the AM workout because I wanted to help with the full house (the relatives were leaving in the AM), but alas, my help was not needed - everybody snoozed in, and I was out before anyone woke up. I made up the session at 6pm, and wore my "ROFL" workout shirt: It's puff blue and says "You can't buy these Pythons in a Pet Shop" with arrows pointing to my biceps. The 6pm crew is a bit bigger than the 6am (30 vs 5), so it got a bigger laugh. I didn't cry... too much...

With the guests gone, we're always faced with the task of recovering the house. This time, it started coming together well, BUT we were faced with a load of laundry that makes the Augean Stables task of Hercules seem like a minor tidying. What to do?

Well, Tuesdays ARE our date night, and Justin was on his way over. We decided that perhaps it would be romantic to get some stuff DONE - so we packed 10 laundry baskets over to a coin laundry and got the whole mess done in 2 hours and $45 in quarters. We brought in sandwiches for dinner over the Ms PacMan machine, and finished the evening at Starbucks for a cuppa to relax.

And with my bones a bit tired from standing and hauling and folding (it's a workout in itself), I close my laptop and dream good dreams.

No comments: