Sunday, January 06, 2008

Ah the kids

We had a visit with my mom today - had some of her wonderful soup and some great chatting. Isaac was amazingly well behaved: The house is full to bursting with knick knacks (in a good way), and somehow he did not go into his default "what's this? What's this? What's THIS? GrabGrabGrabGrab" mode. He seemed happy to bounce on the couch, whack on drums, and have walkabout adventures... but there were few causes to jump up and redirect him (aside from his attention to the admittedly fascinating space heater).

Bella was in a shy mood, and had Pamela and me relate most of the information she wanted to share... though by the end Mom and Bella were doing an impressive rat hand-puppet duet of a Josh Groban song, so things had warmed up pretty well.

Afterward, we took them to Edinborough Park for them to run around... alas, Isaac's pants were a size too large, and I spent much of the play time racing across the gym floor pulling his pants up from around his ankles. He thought it was great fun. Bella was a bit reserved again, until she saw the new moonwalk: A giant doghouse. She pointed it out excitedly and ran into it for a good 15 minutes. She came out a bit bounced and sweaty and announced "THAT WAS AWESOME".

Once home, Isaac went right to bed, and Bella proved a bit brittle and overtired: We got an All Creatures and some pizza into her and then up to bed. While we were resting, she turned to me and asked:

"Dad, do you remember all the good times we've had together?"

Of course I rattled on for a good 10 minutes about all of the wonderful things I recall, and how I love being with her every minute of every day. She had her eyes closed with a sweet smile as I serenaded her with memories. When I stopped, she snapped her eyes open:

"Just one more question, Dad. How do they make corn?"

I told her that was a bit of an involved story and it was a bit late to get into it... She said "Well, I guess you could just tell me about that tomorrow.". She then rolled over and within a minute started snoring.

No comments: