Friday, January 18, 2008

The Great Escape

Yesterday was my last full day with the Cardiology project: When I accepted my new VP position, I did so knowing this day would come and not really be movable. I gave over 2 months of notice, and tried to leave things in a good state. But things rarely work out that way:

The careful reader will recall that the vendor took a ghastly detour, deciding to change their product focus, which threw the very nature of my project into question... for the past 3 weeks, I've been exploring legal options, reviewing RFPs and Contracts, and trying to put a positive spin on this for the physicians, who are not taking it particularly well...

That's not quite right: The passionate doc who referred to the whole mess as a "Cluster" a few weeks back. He's now walking around with a peaceful grin on his face. He has figured out his time for bluster is over - to truly emerge from this crisis on the top with what he wants, he is taking the peacemaker role - the "let bygones be bygones, let's work toward the future". It's amazing to watch...

Anyway, my date couldn't move, so I've tried to put things into as good of condition as possible, but things are truly no more decided than before, and won't be until a big meeting on the 31st. Which I'm coming back for of course!

But today, I spent a leisurely morning with the family, reading the funnies, building dinosaurs, and bench pressing the kids. Now I'm at the airport - a one night-er to Chicago for the annual party and planning meeting. It's at the Peninsula, but I'm staying 2 blocks over at a Courtyard - which is just fine.

Next week, it's a 3 day trip to Northern California, which already looks to be a pretty positive time - we have 3 big meetings set up, and they're bringing the right people, so it could be bidnesstime. I'll wear my power underwear just to make sure.

And the answer that you are all likely looking for: Nope - not getting the Macbook Air. Yes it's little and sexy. Yes it's beautiful. BUT it is not THAT much lighter than my current macbook, and it's certainly slower, and certainly has less disk space... So there's nothing pushing me in that direction. Yet.

Actually, my Macbook has a bunch of scratches and scuffs on it - I decided not to baby it - and it really feels like it's "mine". And having replaced its dang hard drive 3 times (restoring from scratch each time), I have some sweat equity in it too.

Oh - some kid stuff: Bella has been giving out tons of cuddles these days, so I'm loving that. The other night, she laid down along Uncle Ant's legs in the dining nook, an extended cuddle that sent the Ant to heaven. Isaac is getting better and better about eating, and about sleeping: He's down to one wakeup usually (knock wood). I think that this will get better and better the more nights I stay away: Pamela is a deeper sleeper than I am and Isaac needs to really REV UP for her to respond, whereas when I hear a snort or murmur I'm up heating water. Yes, I am probably the problem here.

And on a language front: I had a few email exchanges with Annika and Rickard, our Swedish friends, and I did my best to keep it in Swedish. And I understood what they were writing back, so the language junkie is on his way back!!!!

Well, time to get over to the gate and get on the plane I suppose.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

by the way, the Ant is still waiting to see some photos from the Pollo Birthday / Bella Cuddle event... /:)