Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Bidnessman

So even though my start date for the new job is in 3 weeks, I'm in a hotel room in Chicago participating in the annual business development planning sessions for the new company. I'm not 100% sure why we're in Chicago, when 90% of the team is from Minneapolis, but I guess it's nice to get out and be in a foreign place away from distractions... or something.

The 2008 goals discussed are indeed aggressive, but completely achievable. I think the staff recruiters were the most worried - they're going to have to find, vet, and hire enough people to double the company in 12 months. They'll do fine.

Last night we had a team dinner out: No reservations necessary - apparently the 2nd of Jan is one of the slowest nights in the restaurant universe. After a very good meal, we headed next door to one of those "dueling piano" bars. It was pretty amusing to watch them REALLY trying to get the room activated with over half the tables empty. But we did get them to play most of the requests, including Rio, Hold Me Now, and Don't you want me baby (done as a breakneck ragtime stomp). There were four performers in rotation, sitting in on drums, bass, or the two pianos... let's just say that when we walked in, we had the "B" group on lead, but by the time we left, the "A" group was on fire.

The VP of Marketing has a 6month old girl, and this is her first trip away... so we both took off from the bar good and early and were back to the hotel by 11. The same thing was on both of our minds: A NIGHT OF UNINTERRUPTED SLEEP, PLEASE.

It didn't work: I must have heard Isaac through the ether, because at 2am I snapped awake for a half hour. DANG IT.

Breakfast in the hotel was unreasonably delicious - and wildly generous. At the end of it, there were STILL 3 pieces of crispy bacon left on the plate... I had tried my best, but they had given me so much... so much BACON. Ooooh. Delightful.

A full day of meetings again today, then off to the airport for an early evening return to life as usual.

No comments: