Monday, June 02, 2008

Obviously I'm dreaming

I'm in the Columbus OH airport, having spent all of 18 hours in this fair city, and about to get on an airplane for home. Ohio? Is that my territory? Ah, no. I am still far more coastal. No, the reason I'm here was for a conference. Oho - to schmooze you say? No indeed, this was actually a conference about Healthcare Analytics, which is the subject area of my new business area, and I was here to LEARN what's going on in the industry.

And here's the crazy thing: It was a GREAT conference. I talked to people throughout, and everyone was similarly amazed: The sessions were uniformly excellent, there was no overlap in subject areas, and there were history, current, and future state discussions. Heavy hitters from the industry were there, and with <200 attendees total, everyone was accessible for a chat afterwards. My notes are full of followup items, and I've got ideas bursting out of my ears on new strategies.

So strangely, having been sent just to learn, I wound up schmoozing and exchanging cards with more people than I possibly could have if it was just a schmooze trip. Add to this the hotel was comfy and quiet, and I go bumped to first class both directions... there's a very real chance that this has all been a dream and that I'll wake up soon with 2 day's beard growth and a very worried looking family standing over me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some of the best business analtytics presentations I've seen have been at the Teradata Partners' Conference.

www.teradata-partners.com

This year it's in Las Vegas October 11 - 16th.

--Beth