Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Impressions from Seattle

1) As I watched Heroes last night, an ad for Kay Jewelers came on advertising 25-50% off original prices, with the unbelievable disclaimer across the bottom of the screen:

"Original prices may not have resulted in actual sales"

What this means is they're admitting that their retail price was a sham all along, and that the 25% "discount" is actually just normal price. I thought it was a very surreal advertising confession.

That aside, another great episode of Heroes. Cake?

2) I had an incredible sushi feed with Paul and Caesar tonight in Kirkland at Izumi. We asked for omakase, which means "feed us your best". The chef is very big on custom marinades, so we got some strange fishes I can't name with strange flavors I can't identify, and yet it was all delicious. My first sushi feed in years where no form of Tuna was involved. And in the end after more than dozen pieces of exotic sushi each, it came to around $33 per - though Paul and Caesar refused to let me pay. Silly geese, I have an expense account!

3) As I drove back to Tacoma (35 miles from the restaurant in Kirkland, but such is life) I passed a red neon sign with one letter missing.... TACOMA ELF STORAGE Likely a busy place this time of year.

4) I'm now current with Terminator - the Sarah Connor Chronicles. I love the show, but especially the cyborgs: From Cameron to Cromartie to the lead singer of Garbage. They're all so cool and alien. My deepest hope is that the writers have a huge whiteboard and are keeping every time paradox looped in and tracked: I cannot endure another X-Files like situation where they make it up week to week: I need arcs, continuity, and consistency. If they let me down, I'll sic a T888 on them PRONTO.

5) I had to stop watching a 30-Rock because Nathan Lane was on it. I think I don't like Nathan Lane all that much right now for some reason. That's not related to anything, but I think I just needed to put that out there. I just don't like Nathan Lane. I'm sorry Nathan. I really am.

No comments: