Wednesday, November 14, 2007

And now a message

From my left arm: Recipient of a flu shot today.
"Ow."

Ok, remember that one posting I made that I had to take down because it wasn't public yet? Yeah. Well it's back up... I can announce it because it's been revealed to the hundred-odd people in the company, so I'm not spoiling any secrets.

Yes, I am moving to a new position - and it's in the glamorous world of SALES. I'm returning to the nest of the firm I've worked with on-and-off for the past 7 years, and coming in as a VP for business development. The important stuff (money) has been figured out, but start date, and my exact territory is still up in the air, but it's looking very west-coastey. No worries, travel is limited, and it's only for account management: Mondays and Fridays are always here... it's fundamentally different from a traveling consultant position.

One fun bonus is that I need to kick up the presentability quotient: Jackets and suits are far more needed. Fortunately, there's a store in town (Kuhlmann) with very reasonable prices, extremely attractive merch, and a strange phenomenon: Their suits fit me PERFECTLY off the rack without alterations. I got one of their suits 2 years back for my 10th wedding party, and I just went back for a few more... Alas, with my skinny neck and long arms, I can be hard to fit shirt-wise. Kuhlmann always lets me down (they need to add 2cm to their sleeves!!!). But Thomas Pink of Jermyn Street (and Macy's Downtown) was quite able to accommodate my very scottish/german look and were quite happy to sell me some dressy shirts.

As I approach 40, I am sadly noticing that my eyeglass prescription is in dire need of an update... things require a few more blinks to get into focus, and for the first time, close up things are starting to blur slightly. OH ACCURSED GENETICS. So I'll be making an appointment with Dr Eye soon enough... and updating the lenses in a few of my frames... retiring one or two... and maybe getting 1-2 new looks. Lasik? Don't make me laugh. Glasses WORK for me.

And on the eyes front: I can't recall if I told the blog about my 40th birthday present to myself: a large Hi-Def LCD screen and a Blu-Ray player. High definition is absolutely blowing my mind: My cable box gets HD, and there's a show called "Sunrise Earth" which is 1 hour of sunrise around the world. It is flat out amazing... especially in the crisp clear hi def. We watched Blu-Ray Ratatouille, and it was so bright and clear, I thought they were jumping out of the screen at me.

I am now a hi-def evangelist. This is to DVD as DVD was to VHS. I'm not exaggerating: The clarity is incredible. And watching Heroes at that size, in HD... Oh Sylar, I can see your devious cunning EVEN MORE CLEARLY now.

I end with a quote from Bella the other night. She was mad because it was late and her friend had to go home. Stomping her foot, she declared:

I AM NOT VERY HAPPY WITH THIS WHOLE "NOT PLAYING WITH FRIENDS" BUSINESS.

Again, it was very hard to keep a straight face and sagely nod my head to empathize.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ctCongratulations are in order. I look forward to the vision of you as the heritage shines through the clothes.... about which .... genetics and such: 43 was when I first began to see the blurs when I read. At 64 I am still using off the rack glasses but that will change within a year. So, you really are doing very well, son. As one of your dna donors I must say that well, you hit the lottery by just being here and getting to 40.