Saturday, November 17, 2007

Countdown...

To Thanksgiving, to Christmas, to New Years, to my Birthday, to my new Job... so much that we're on the approach to.

Today we got up bright and early and had a parent-teacher conference with Bella's teacher Suellen. Now, last year, when i went to the conference, I felt like I was hearing stories about a kid I didn't know: Bella had a truly VERY different home persona from school, and we were amazed to learn about this girl. This year, the two Bellas have really merged, and I felt I was hearing my daughter described, which is a good thing.

Something I heard was that Bella is very considerate and has deep friendships with a few people, but is not out in the front of the crowd. This jives with our perceptions. But one thing that was touching: There's a girl in class who never speaks - she's amazingly shy. Bella seems to have decided to try to be her friend, to take time out to check in on her, and the teacher really thought that was a sweet gesture. It made me proud.

After that, we piled in the mobile and headed out to Bachmans for the annual arrival of Santa. We got there early so Bella could enjoy a quiche, and then settled in for the arrival (pulled by one beautiful reindeer), the show, and the pictures afterward. The Bachmans Santa is just the best in the world. But the "Arrival Day" has become something of a zoo: Even last year, it was still a pretty mellow affair, but this year, it was PACKED, and frankly a little less fun for it. We'll probably adjust and just go a week or two later in future years. Naturally, Bella watched the show intently. Isaac and I walked all through the store.

As we walked through the fake christmas tree section, Isaac would occasionally pause, and give a lusty "HA!!!", as though he was a mighty viking warrior, pleased with the tribute offered to him. The he'd be back to not just walking, not just running, but skip/galloping. The boy is a speed demon.

Pictures with Santa... Isaac pulled a Ghandi and went all limp in Santa's arms, shrieking. The moment we picked him up, the waterworks ended, and he politely waved to Santa. I tell you, that kid knows what he does and does not want. Bella, she did give us a sweet smile, unlike previous years where a serious glare was all we were allowed to photograph. On the ride home, Bella did want to know why Santa didn't ask what she wanted for Christmas: Alas, the pictures thing moves kids through pretty fast. We told her the elves have been taking notes all year, so she doesn't need to tell him: After all, what if a kid didn't get a chance to SEE Santa? How would he know what that kid wants unless he had a network? Bella was satisfied with that.

And finally, continuing on my countdown to 40 consumer frenzy (new TV, new suits), I finally caved in and got... yes... the iPhone. AND I AM SO MAD THAT I DIDN'T JUST DO THIS MONTHS AGO: This is the finest piece of technology I have ever possessed. Mein Gott, was dachte ich? It is a great phone, it's a great ipod, it shows pictures, it surfs the web.... man. MAN. To everyone who supported me in my quixotic quest to abstain from that thing - thank you. But come on, it is just too great. Man was not MEANT to resist this. Much less geeky, mac-loving man, like me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes to your iPhone. Now is the right time. It's part of your rite of passage. Even a couple of months can make a difference. This purchase has an intent to it that the frenzy of last summer would not have had.