Monday, November 26, 2007

Yes, it was busy

So many fun things this weekend... Thanksgiving/Birthday was very nice - as noted in previous entries. Another Scotch night with a few avengers on Friday, with some very nice old ones sampled. Saturday was a bit lazier... Erik treated us to bacon and eggs while we sat around.

Isaac wound up LOVING Erik to an almost disturbing degree. If I was holding Isaac, and Erik walked in, Isaac shrieked and reached out for him. Erik got not a minute of peace with his little "fan" around. Isaac also continued on his slow taper toward eating "food", enjoying a full piece of bacon... probably since Erik made it and all.

Bella, Erik, and I went off to a story telling celebration, and Bella amused herself with French Lady stories, but started fidgeting... so off to the next thing: The comic book store. She sat down in the kid's section, and very carefully browsed through, to find two comics she wanted to take home: Yes, Scooby Doo.

Then off to a Model Store: I've told Bella many stories about making models as a kid and she wanted to know more about this activity. She picked out a few snap-together kits: An SR71 Blackbird spy plane, a fire truck, and a french rally car. We made two of them that afternoon, and she was GREAT at following directions. I think she'll be a good kit builder in time.

One treat I got was the game "Rock Band" for Playstation3: This comes with a guitar, mic, and drum set. Songs play and you're supposed to hit drums/frets/sing as specified. It's not EXACTLY mapped to real notes (ability to PLAY said instrument can be a liability actually)... but there is definitely an element of skill...

Erik and I made a "band" called "Eclectricity" and began our tour. Two hours later (and 20 songs) the game politely informed us that we were no longer allowed to use the "Easy" setting... and bumped us to Medium, and we collapsed in ineptitude. Well that's not entirely fair - we did OK. The songs for the game are very fun - Blitzkrieg Bop, Should I stay or should I go, Wanted Dead or Alive, Gimme Shelter....

I think I need to create "synthpop hero" where you and 4 friends stand around with monophonic synthesizers while your drums come from a 1/4 inch reel to reel tape deck.

Sunday Pamela "encouraged" us to get out into the beautiful weather, so we went out to Uncle Franky's, which I haven't been to since switching to the "new client" back in July. Still delicious. Then off to a real record store, the electric fetus for good old fashioned shopping.

An old tradition of mine and Erik's is to spend an hour or more browsing in record stores, and we try to bring worse and worse "recommendations" to eachother. My Japanese Import of Queensryche "Operation Mindcrime" was the winner this time.

When we got back, the kids had so thoroughly exhausted Pamela, that she took a 3 hour nap...

In the evening, after "rocking out" for a while (with Pamela and Bella helping out on Vocals), Erik and I watched "Live Free or Die Hard" - the 4th in the franchise, and a worthy member of the family. I had read about some nerds who didn't like the way the interweb was depicted, about how the computer use was completely unrealistic. Yes, and in this same movie, he drives over a fire hydrant, and the resulting gusher of water is high/strong enough to knock a sniper out of a helicopter. He tumbles out of a moving car which retains enough momentum fly up a concrete barricade and crash into said helicopter, while only getting some scratches.

Sister, if you're worried about realism what with the computers, perhaps we should start with the basic laws of physics which were being violated. So with that said, I made an agreement with my brain to go ahead and enjoy this... and enjoy it we did.

Erik took off this AM, and it was back to the salt mines for me. I did spend an hour in a meeting in my NEW position (yes, the one I start in February... i want to get myself wrapped into it), and as if to keep pushing me toward the door, the vendor at my current client just came through with the news that one more piece of functionality that we were counting on will be ready for us in December. 2008. YES.

And now it's off to bed: The morning will come early, and I need to get back on my workout schedule, getting the less "good for me" parts of the weekend out of my system.

(And I hope you can forgive my geeky KindlePost)

No comments: